Detecting Detroit and More.

iAmMike

Oct 31, 2021
North Georgia, USA
Detector(s) used
MineLab Equinox 800, Manticore
After months of eager anticipation, I finally got my hands on the new Manticore detector. However, due to various commitments and the scorching sun making the ground as hard as concrete, I had limited opportunities to explore its capabilities. But, determined to put it to the test, I embarked on a metal detecting adventure during my vacation in Michigan. What unfolded was a mix of excitement, frustration, and unexpected discoveries.

Park Exploration:

My first stop was Palmer Park in Detroit, a promising location that had witnessed significant footfall over the years. Eagerly scanning the ground, I accidentally had the Manticore detector set to all metal mode, which made my task a little more challenging but added a touch of humor to my experience. Despite encountering an abundance of trash, I managed to uncover a few clad coins and a wheat cent. It was a modest start, but it fueled my enthusiasm to continue my quest.

20230612_115602.jpg

Belle Isle Adventure:

Next, I ventured to Belle Isle, another picturesque park in Detroit. I spent a delightful day picnicking and enjoying the scenery, but the metal detecting aspect was not without its share of challenges. The park was littered with bottle caps and other debris, making it difficult to distinguish potential treasures. Nevertheless, I persisted and discovered $2.84 in clad coins. Although it wasn't a significant find, the thrill of the hunt kept me going.

20230614_145901.jpg

Door Knocking Delight:

On my final day detecting in Michigan, I decided to pursue one of my favorite aspects of metal detecting—door knocking. As I drove through the area surrounding Romeo, a town with settlers dating back to the 1820s, I was astounded by the numerous old homes that lined the streets. I couldn't resist the urge to knock on a few doors, seeking permission to explore their properties.
My first attempt led me to a house built circa 1936. Despite spending an extensive four hours searching, I only unearthed a badge of some sort and two coins—a wheat cent and a clad dime. Although the finds were meager, the process of exploring an old property stirred my imagination, envisioning the lives that once unfolded within those walls.
20230616_133459(0).jpg

Determined to make the most of my remaining time, I headed to a second location and struck gold—well, not quite. I discovered two buffalo nickels, one of which appeared to be from 1925, while the other holds a yet-to-be-determined date. Alongside these treasures, I uncovered a 1902 Indian Head penny, another wheat cent, an apparently old button, and some additional clad coins. The thrill of finding historical artifacts was exhilarating and made all my efforts worthwhile.

20230616_162817.jpg

Upvote 22
Great post, sounds like you're going to have some great fun using the new machine.
You mentioned that you found an old button.
Is it the top or bottom find?
What's the other find then?

Great post, sounds like you're going to have some great fun using the new machine.
You mentioned that you found an old button.
Is it the top or bottom find?
What's the other find then?
Thank you Pepper J and I appreciate you reading through it! I expect that I will be having a great time with the new machine but so far my familiarization with the Equinox 800 is making me want to switch back but I think the more I play with the manticore the more comfortable I'll get with it. The button is the top one, here are some additional photos of it cleaned up:

A003 - 20230619_162000.jpg

A004 - 20230619_162016.jpg
The other item I guess is trash. I was super excited when I dug it up but it doesn't have any markings. It measures at about 0.85mm thickness and about 31.42mm Ø. Here are some additional photo's:
A002 - 20230619_161933.jpg

A001 - 20230619_161928.jpg

I’m going to be honest with you. Who in the world goes to Detroit for vacation?!?! I mean, it’s Michigan for crying out loud. I know. I’m a little biased because I’m in Ohio.lol! ( 😱 I’m gonna be in trouble from all my Michigan online friends for this one!)
Looks like you had fun and I’m glad you got to figure out your new detector. Congratulations on all the finds!

Edit: you are a very talented writer. Great post.

After months of eager anticipation, I finally got my hands on the new Manticore detector. However, due to various commitments and the scorching sun making the ground as hard as concrete, I had limited opportunities to explore its capabilities. But, determined to put it to the test, I embarked on a metal detecting adventure during my vacation in Michigan. What unfolded was a mix of excitement, frustration, and unexpected discoveries.

Park Exploration:

My first stop was Palmer Park in Detroit, a promising location that had witnessed significant footfall over the years. Eagerly scanning the ground, I accidentally had the Manticore detector set to all metal mode, which made my task a little more challenging but added a touch of humor to my experience. Despite encountering an abundance of trash, I managed to uncover a few clad coins and a wheat cent. It was a modest start, but it fueled my enthusiasm to continue my quest.

View attachment 2089660

Belle Isle Adventure:

Next, I ventured to Belle Isle, another picturesque park in Detroit. I spent a delightful day picnicking and enjoying the scenery, but the metal detecting aspect was not without its share of challenges. The park was littered with bottle caps and other debris, making it difficult to distinguish potential treasures. Nevertheless, I persisted and discovered $2.84 in clad coins. Although it wasn't a significant find, the thrill of the hunt kept me going.

View attachment 2089659

Door Knocking Delight:

On my final day detecting in Michigan, I decided to pursue one of my favorite aspects of metal detecting—door knocking. As I drove through the area surrounding Romeo, a town with settlers dating back to the 1820s, I was astounded by the numerous old homes that lined the streets. I couldn't resist the urge to knock on a few doors, seeking permission to explore their properties.
My first attempt led me to a house built circa 1936. Despite spending an extensive four hours searching, I only unearthed a badge of some sort and two coins—a wheat cent and a clad dime. Although the finds were meager, the process of exploring an old property stirred my imagination, envisioning the lives that once unfolded within those walls.
View attachment 2089658

Determined to make the most of my remaining time, I headed to a second location and struck gold—well, not quite. I discovered two buffalo nickels, one of which appeared to be from 1925, while the other holds a yet-to-be-determined date. Alongside these treasures, I uncovered a 1902 Indian Head penny, another wheat cent, an apparently old button, and some additional clad coins. The thrill of finding historical artifacts was exhilarating and made all my efforts worthwhile.

View attachment 2089661
Very Cool!!! Double Buffs is always Nice!!! Congrats!!!

I’m going to be honest with you. Who in the world goes to Detroit for vacation?!?! I mean, it’s Michigan for crying out loud. I know. I’m a little biased because I’m in Ohio.lol! ( 😱 I’m gonna be in trouble from all my Michigan online friends for this one!)
Looks like you had fun and I’m glad you got to figure out your new detector. Congratulations on all the finds!

Edit: you are a very talented writer. Great post.
LOL, yeah Michigan isn't one of most people's go to holiday spots. I have family there and was up for my nephews HS graduation party. I'm delighted you enjoyed the post.

Good luck with your Manticore !! I sold mine and went back to my Deus's It was to heavy for me

Great post and thanks for sharing. SILVER next time out!

Good luck with your Manticore !! I sold mine and went back to my Deus's It was to heavy for me

Thank you! At 3 lbs the weight isn't an issue for me. I just need to learn how to interpret the target trace.

That's a cool looking Park - congrats on the great finds !
Thank you! The first park is neat but the 2nd park is more beautiful. I posted just a photo of a field but it's an 800 acre island on the Detroit river and is gorgeous.

Great post and thanks for sharing. SILVER next time out!
Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed the post and love sharing. I'm always wishing for silver, thanks again!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back