Descent Day

jason4kstate

Jun 23, 2007
The first stop was awesome. I picked up a Albert Bodemer 835 silver tong. If anyone has any idea what these were used for I would greatly appreciate it! I also found some Wallace sterling 1930's salad fork/spoon set. The Native American bracelet is marked but the maker is currently unknown. My wife has dibs on it :)

Attachments

• IMG_4202[1].JPG
    IMG_4202[1].JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 156
  • IMG_4203[1].JPG
    IMG_4203[1].JPG
    639.3 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_4204[1].JPG
    IMG_4204[1].JPG
    1 MB · Views: 152
  • IMG_4205[1].JPG
    IMG_4205[1].JPG
    603.6 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_4208[1].JPG
    IMG_4208[1].JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 111
cool finds !

Weren't tongs used to pick up sugar cubes ?

cool finds !

Weren't tongs used to pick up sugar cubes ?
Yes they were, but they were also used for ice, cakes/pastries, asparagus, salad and general serving. If they were a little larger I'd say they were "serving tongs". Based on the size and general shape, I believe the ones shown are for asparagus, even though they are flat and not ribbed or anything. Tomatoes were generally served with a flat spoon called a "tomato server".

Love the Native American piece. Navajo, I think with onyx, coral, turquoise, mother of pearl and maybe a couple of other things I couldn't see. Solid work and probably fairly expensive. Could be Zuni, but either way, you did great...

They look like fish tongs to me.

The bracelet has an opal, turquoise, buffalo turquoise, sugalite, onyx, carnelian, red coral, and lapis lazuli, It's a shame that I can't ID the artist. It's currently listed as unknown in the Native American hallmarks website. My wife collects Native American jewelry and I mostly collect pots and rugs. I will be going to a big NA auction this Friday.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back