DeLeon observations..

Gone Detectin

Nov 2, 2015
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Bandido II Umax,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Been swinging the DeLeon for a couple months (about a month total considering weather) and have come to the conclusion that this machine is best served with a double d coil. All of my concentric's "overload" in shallow trash. And if you dont know, the "D" will simply will go silent on you if its overloading.. an absolute design mistake IMO. Ive been over top super shallow coins in very low grass and the D just not make a sound with my 8" concentric. This is unforgivable.. The machine should be sounding the basic battery check tone when this is happening. I didn't realize what was happening until I had went over a pull tab that was laying on the surface and got nothing more than a pop.. something you would overlook when hunting in EMI or trashy areas.

All that said, my cleansweep is killing it. Dug a couple 4" - 6" coins this afternoon. Mostly dimes and pennies. This machine simply vacuums up the dimes. But the CS is just a little to big for trashy stuff.

I've used the 5 3/4" concentric, but having to raise the coil to keep from overloading gets old.

So I'm wanting to get my hands on a slightly smaller DD. Been eyeballing the CORS Fortune/Nel Sharpshooter and was wondering if anyone has any experience with this coil on the D?

I don't have much experience with different coils, but my Troy super 7 is great on my Deleon. Never ran it even with the stock 9x8

I don't have much experience with different coils, but my Troy super 7 is great on my Deleon. Never ran it even with the stock 9x8

Do you not get any overloading with it?

Sometimes I get the carrots ^^^^^ on some areas, but mostly no. That machine runs best at sensitivity between 5-8. I'm thinking you're overloading because either your threshold is too high and/or your sensitivity is too high. Just a thought. But my 7" coil is smaller than the stock coil.
But I'd start back with the stock coil and setting the threshold at a slight hum and the sensitivity at 8 and trying that before anything else.
That machine runs best with the coil it's been tuned to. I sent mine in and had it set for that coil. So I recommend trying to set it up with the stock coil with what I suggested above first.
When I first got mine I ran my sensitivity really high and it didn't work well.
Many don't think so, but that's a very powerful machine. If you run it's something faint, you can turn it up. but for general searching you'll do best not running it so hot

Ok thanks for the input. I'm gonna give it a shot by lowering the sens to see if it helps with the overloading. Pretty sure I lowered it the last time I was out, but I'll give it another shot.

90% of the time I have sensitivity between 3-5. Threshold at 10:00.
I took this advice from another deleon user, and my "other than penny" finds escalated.

I only thumb both settings higher when I get faint signals that look and sound interesting.

The day I installed a 5.75 Concentric changed my MD experience immensely. Comfort and finds. I've now learned to swing slower and more precise.

I'm sure the soil you swing over makes a huge difference too. GB is not something I have to deal with.

I'd also like to add that I set discrimination between iron and foil. With the smaller coil and low settings, the DeLeon will actually tell you in broken English what to dig and not dig. Just let the coil linger over the target for a bit and then it talks to ya. "I ain't kidding either." (i.e. Tombstone)

Last edited:
I've used the D a lot and have never had the problem described. I generally do NOT set my sensitivity to max as my D runs very well at a bit under, and always set the threshold at a barely audible hum. I'm not a great fan of DD coils either and usually stick with the Tesoro concentrics. They pinpoint better and discriminate better in my opinion.
luvsdux

I've used the D a lot and have never had the problem described. I generally do NOT set my sensitivity to max as my D runs very well at a bit under, and always set the threshold at a barely audible hum. I'm not a great fan of DD coils either and usually stick with the Tesoro concentrics. They pinpoint better and discriminate better in my opinion.
luvsdux

Bill, you are so very right. I was told by one of the guys at Tesoro, that there is no better coil for my part of the country than a concentric. "Truth will set you free."

PS: I love it when there is discussion on the DeLeon. For coin and ring hunting, I just don't believe for the life of me that it gets any better.

I've never used the DeLeon, but I've noticed with the Mojave that the discrimination
is far more accurate with the sensitivity set at the preset mark 4.
Set at 5 or beyond and it is far more likely to let nails and bottle caps slip by
when disc is set barely past iron.

Noah

Usually I run all mine lower and like Vern said turn it up if I find a faint signal, then return back for the search.

I find myself using AM more and more. Deeper. When targets are not plentiful, and turning up sensitivity doesn't help, I go to AM. It has worked several times. Especially in my front yard. I keep the grass mowed and pretty, but after mowing it is still probably 5" deep. That's why AM mode works dandy.

And like Stephan said, the numbers do pop up. Sometimes you have to work it slow and allow the machine to do it's magic.

Last edited:
I don't pay too much attention to the markings on my detectors. For instance, if I want a nickel to just come in below where it is disced out, I put a nickel on the ground then move the disc knob to where it just accepts the nickel and either remember the spot or mark it. This way I'm tuning to the actual target regardless of whether the knob markings are accurate or not. Not every detector has the knob set dead on, but you can loosen them and set them however you want, but easier to just make a small mark.
luvsdux

True, but nickels aren't a good thing to set your knob to. They come in in different areas depending on date. Even between two nickels 5 years apart they come in differently.

Looks like nobodies tried a Nel or Cors 9.5x5.5. May have to pick one up just to see how it performs.

After a good bit of testing I'm certain a D coil separates better than any concentric I own. If I lift a concentric coil I can get amazing separation with the 8" and the 575, but why do that when I can just get a small D to work the trash.

I do get a slightly tighter ID on objects with a concentric but only by a small margin. I believe this is mostly based on your machine being tuned to a certain coil. If this is the case than its no surprise that a coil of any type would produce great results.

Looks like nobodies tried a Nel or Cors 9.5x5.5. May have to pick one up just to see how it performs.

After a good bit of testing I'm certain a D coil separates better than any concentric I own. If I lift a concentric coil I can get amazing separation with the 8" and the 575, but why do that when I can just get a small D to work the trash.

I do get a slightly tighter ID on objects with a concentric but only by a small margin. I believe this is mostly based on your machine being tuned to a certain coil. If this is the case than its no surprise that a coil of any type would produce great results.
My problem with a Nel coil is that they require running sensitivity at 50% when ground balancing the machine before turning the sensitivity up to hunt with.With a pre set ground balance,I wonder if it won't too hot and false more often than not ? Let us know if you buy one.

My problem with a Nel coil is that they require running sensitivity at 50% when ground balancing the machine before turning the sensitivity up to hunt with.With a pre set ground balance,I wonder if it won't too hot and false more often than not ? Let us know if you buy one.

I picked up a used NEL Storm 5 pin off fleebay that turned out to be junk I guess, who knows? Can't turn the Silver umax over sensitivity of 5 without unit oscillating. Put it on the Outlaw and cant quite get it to ground balance. It's a little negative and as you approach null, the machine goes silent, nothing at all. With all metal preset at full, there is no way to turn it down to 50%. Contacted NEL directly, they said "contact dealer". I contacted dealer and they tried to help, took serial number and said it was 3 years old, forget it. Basically if it's under warranty, they'll send you a new one, but when two year warranty runs out, tough luck. They offered to sell me a new one at a discount which I appreciated, but ain't no way I'm pouring more money into NEL. I made a mistake, but won't risk following it up with another one. I've used many NEL coils over the years on my Fishers and never had a problem, but the way I was treated on my first attempt at a repair, forget it. I'll never buy another foreign coil again.

I broke the connector off my 11x8 RSD coil from Tesoro and they fixed it no charge!
ymmv

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back