Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all,
My two young boys have been having fun digging in a little dump (that we now own) near us. It isn't very old, maybe 40's - 50's based on our findings. Yesterday they came home with this decorative item. It was obviously meant to hang and is two sided. Penny for scale. I had no idea on this one. The image on it looks like a cat with wings. :icon_scratch:

TIA,
Michiganne

P1220127comp.jpgP1220129comp.jpgP1220130comp.jpgP1220130cropcomp.jpg

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Upvote 0
That is awesome! Looks like something that Mike Wolf on American Pickers would throw down some serious cash for.
Maybe it was on Fred and Lilly's mailbox post and held a small wooden sign that said "The Munsters".

Upvote 0
I took a new pic, I could not find my orignal post? HH
Broken Knee

Attachments

• IMG_4407.JPG
    IMG_4407.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 85
Upvote 0
Hi BK, Amazing that you found one too! Did anyone ID it when you originally posted it? I still feel that it's part of an antique lamp.

I took a new pic, I could not find my orignal post? HH
Broken Knee

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I would guess that the 3 bottom hooks held something round with 3 chains. Look for something similar on-line and you might have your answer Annie ;)

Upvote 0
Something like this:

The two outside hooks could have held two chains for the lamp and the center hook held the "smoke bell."

What think you Annie?? :D lol

Attachments

• LampPart.jpg
    LampPart.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Something like this:

ceiling oil lamps smoke bell - Google Search

The two outside hooks could have held two chains for the lamp and the center hook held the "smoke bell."

What think you Annie?? :D lol

Not convinced yet Erik. :-\ It seems rather light duty for a lamp and it is flat, all in one plane. I'll keep looking when I have time for something that matches better.

Interesting that BK found one too. He found it in MA.

I was hoping someone on the TNet would recognize it.

Upvote 0
The link didn't post the way I expected it to from my iPhone.....take a look at the pic I just posted above and look at the piece that's holding the chains and the "smoke bell"--it's flat and two sided and has the correct number of attachment points and that "whimsical bat motif" item you found would seem to work well there on a lamp with a different motif.

Not convinced yet Erik. :-\ It seems rather light duty for a lamp and it is flat, all in one plane. I'll keep looking when I have time for something that matches better.

Interesting that BK found one too. He found it in MA.

I was hoping someone on the TNet would recognize it.

Upvote 0
The link didn't post the way I expected it to from my iPhone.....take a look at the pic I just posted above and look at the piece that's holding the chains and the "smoke bell"--it's flat and two sided and has the correct number of attachment points and that "whimsical bat motif" item you found would seem to work well there on a lamp with a different motif.

Yes, I like that picture better, Erik. Now can you find one with two pieces, like this one is? I haven't been able to find one yet.

I cleaned it better hoping to find an initial or some kind of identifying mark. It did have some gold paint on it (hard to see in the pic) which doesn't help, but adds to the facts.
P1220166comp.jpg
Thanks for everyone's efforts! :icon_thumright:

HH

Upvote 0
Michiganne, you have added the second part to our puzzle with the attached top part. I can't find my orignal post so I dont recall what was said about it? HH
Broken Knee

Upvote 0
My original thought was that it had bells and would have been suspended between horses, but I'm leaning towards the lamp idea though. I would like to see a complete example there has to be one some where? HH
Broken Knee

Upvote 0
My original thought was that it had bells and would have been suspended between horses, but I'm leaning towards the lamp idea though. I would like to see a complete example there has to be one some where? HH
Broken Knee

Yeah, I'm leaning towards the lamp idea too. There is one thing that bothers me about the lamp idea. Looks at Erik's pic below and see how the piece shown there is a single piece. But this one we have is in two pieces, with a lone metal piece connecting them. I don't know about you, but if I had an open flame hanging I'd want more than one metal piece supporting it.

It would be cool to see a complete one, I agree Broken Knee. You don't recall what folks said when you originally posted yours?

The crazy bat motif seems right for a lamp.

HH,
Michiganne
p.s. I took it to my MDing club meeting last month and no one had any ideas there either.

Attachments

• P1220130comp.jpg
    P1220130comp.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 86
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back