Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all,
My two young boys have been having fun digging in a little dump (that we now own) near us. It isn't very old, maybe 40's - 50's based on our findings. Yesterday they came home with this decorative item. It was obviously meant to hang and is two sided. Penny for scale. I had no idea on this one. The image on it looks like a cat with wings. :icon_scratch:

TIA,
Michiganne

P1220127comp.jpgP1220129comp.jpgP1220130comp.jpgP1220130cropcomp.jpg

Last edited:
Michiganne,
looks like a Gargoyle,wall mounted key holder,ive seen bats and dragons,never a Gargoyle
hang it up and use it, nice

Upvote 0
Michiganne,
looks like a Gargoyle,wall mounted key holder,ive seen bats and dragons,never a Gargoyle
hang it up and use it, nice

I wondered about keys but the hooks seem rather small to me. :dontknow: I guess folks probably had less on their keys chains back then, no electronic fobs, etc.

HH,
Michiganne

Upvote 0
Hello Michiganne,

At first I thought it might be a wind chime being its in two pieces but seems a bit small for that. Also it looks like it was hung on the ends, not the middle. I think key holder is on track. Nice find, i would use it too...

mcmich

Upvote 0
HMMMMM? I'm not thinking key holder. Being it is two sided, it would have hung so you could see both sides. A key holder would have been one sided with the flat side against the wall. HMMMMMM Got to do some more thinking on this one. Great find boys!

Upvote 0
I've been pondering this more and I don't think it was a key rack, mainly because the top and bottom parts are connected by a joint that can move and swivel. If you took a set of keys off one end it would hang crooked. I also checked and the two holes on the ends of the top piece are not countersunk, indicating this may have been free hanging. The images is two sided as well.

:dontknow:

HH,
Michiganne
P1220130cropcomp.jpg

Upvote 0
Hi Anne,

I think it's supposed to be a bat, not a cat, and definitely not a gargoyle. I also don't think it was used for hanging keys. If it has the same image on both sides it was not meant to be hung on a wall. It may have been used for hanging a sign or display of some sort--possibly in a store setting.

Regards, Erik

Upvote 0
Funny about the wings being feathered rather than webbed like either a bat or most gargoyles?

Upvote 0
Let's just chalk it up to "artistic license"....trust me it's supposed to be a bat....a wild and precious one at that! :laughing7:

Upvote 0
Let's just chalk it up to "artistic license"....trust me it's supposed to be a bat....a wild and precious one at that! :laughing7:

Hmmm, the biologist in me is not letting me admit it is a bat. :wink:

Either critter, we still haven't figured out what it is. ???

Upvote 0
The engineer (and starving artist) in me is soooo letting me admit it's supposed to be a bat :laughing7:

A day out in your bean field says it's a sign/display holder of some sort from a shop ;)

Hmmm, the biologist in me is not letting me admit it is a bat. :wink:

Either critter, we still haven't figured out what it is. ???

Upvote 0
The engineer (and starving artist) in me is soooo letting me admit it's supposed to be a bat :laughing7:

A day out in your bean field says it's a sign/display holder of some sort from a shop ;)

OK, I'll give you a highly-stylized, anatomically incorrect, artist's rendering of a mythical wannabe bat. :laughing7:

A sign holder for.....? Bat food? LOL

Sorry Erik, I'm trying to pigeonhole this thing and having trouble. :-\ :laughing7:

Upvote 0
No, I was actually thinking about the other end of the bat, but it's funny the word "pigeonhole" comes to mind LOL :laughing7:

Upvote 0
It's a bat head with feathers. No different than a a horse body on the lower and a man's body on the upper? Whoever made had the option to make it what they wanted! :) I like the sign holder, but wonder why 3 hooks??? HMMMM!!!!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back