Declaration of Independence?

TheTh3rd

Jun 24, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know this isn't the real thing but I can't find much online. I bought it at a yard sale and the lady said it came from the library of the school she used to teach.

The bottom paragraph says " The facsimile above presented is from an official electrotype copy"

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,017.8 KB · Views: 107
Newly Discovered Stone Printing of Declaration of Independence Brings $597,500 - Autograph Magazine

In all, 200 official parchment copies were struck from the Stone plate in 1823 (with an extra struck for Stone). Each copy is identified as “ENGRAVED by W. I. STONE for the Dept of State, by order” in the upper left corner, followed by “of J. Q. ADAMS, Sect. of State July 4th 1824” in the upper right.

They were also printed on Parchment. Yours appears to be a vintage copy. It even says so on the bottom. IDK maybe you could get a few bucks more for yours since its a bit different than the modern ones, with the paragraph on the bottom stating its a facsimile.

When you say vintage...how old are you thinking?

Pre 1920's?

Upvote 0
Wow thanks for that link, haven't came across that site yet.

Yes it is stuck to the wood, not sure if it's glued though? I might be dumb but it has a glossy finish...more like a coating??
Burning the paper, gluing it to wood and pouring the glossy finish over top of the paper was very popular in the 1980s. My wife used to do this to make extra money. I believe the glossy finish was called Decapour or Decopour. So no I dont believe your item is from the 20s. I would say 50s at the absolute oldest but most likely from the-80s when this was popular. I didnt realize it was glued to the wood at first.

I googled the Orange Grove School for ******ed Children and if its in Tennesse, it opened in 1953.

Upvote 0
When you say vintage...how old are you thinking?

Pre 1920's?
The purposely burnt paper, glued on wood and glossy finish screams 1980s. But that means its vintage. Thats still over 30 years ago. I think it has to be about 100 years old to be considered antique. A 30-50 year old item is vintage. http://www.ebay.com/gds/What-s-the-Difference-Between-Vintage-and-Antique-/10000000177627913/g.html

If it wasnt glued on wood, burnt, decopoured etc I might have thought 50s-70s

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Upvote 0
Now that I think more about it these burnt paper/ glued on wood/deco pour items were popular in the late 70s-early 80s. Remember the cypress clocks?

I guess the paper could be older.

Upvote 0
Here is an interesting link. Rare Copies of The Declaration of Independence - Autograph Magazine

It appears George Washington didnt sign it and his neighbor and best friend, my ?GGGGrandfather George Mason, didnt sign it either but he is credited for writing our Bill of Rights. Im going to have to look in that old box of papers from my Dad to see what type of copy is in there. I know he gave me some cool Civil War papers.. Here is my GGGrandfather Lafayette Mason's discharge papers from the CW.

View attachment 1309347george mason bill of rights.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
BINGO! THANK YOU!

I came across that website but didn't want to sign up!

I guess $1.25 was a good buy

Thanks again!

I often buy stuff for 1-3 dollars at yard sales and goodwill because at that price, its worth the gamble.

Upvote 0
Now that I think more about it these burnt paper/ glued on wood/deco pour items were popular in the late 70s-early 80s. Remember the cypress clocks?
Yup. I made a clock and a table from Cypress slabs back in '82, scorched the edges with a propane torch, coated them with a 2 part epoxy. My mom still has them both in her house.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back