Declaration of Independence?

TheTh3rd

Jun 24, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know this isn't the real thing but I can't find much online. I bought it at a yard sale and the lady said it came from the library of the school she used to teach.

The bottom paragraph says " The facsimile above presented is from an official electrotype copy"

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,017.8 KB · Views: 107
I Don't know if it is the same as yours, But I have one I bought on a school field trip somewhere. It's buried away in a box so I can't compare, by memory it looks the same. It was on old looking paper with the edges like the one above. They sold those,paper money, all kinds of things at these gift shops...

Have no clue if it's the same thing, that's what it reminded me of.

Upvote 0
I Don't know if it is the same as yours, But I have one I bought on a school field trip somewhere. It's buried away in a box so I can't compare, by memory it looks the same. It was on old looking paper with the edges like the one above. They sold those,paper money, all kinds of things at these gift shops...

Have no clue if it's the same thing, that's what it reminded me of.

Mine must be pretty old. I can't even find remakes with the bottom paragraph. Plus there is a sticker on the back that has to be 50+years old.
image.jpg

Upvote 0
Well, nitric is right. I have a copy of Travis's famous letter that I got at the Alamo in the 80's. Looks very old and original. As far as the sticker on the back. The San Antonio ISD had a school for all children with problems(******ed, special needs, autistic stc) that was around into the 60's. They even sent non-english spesking hispanics there. I'm thinking your Dec. of Ind. dates from the 1930's-1940's. Really nice find...

Upvote 0
back in the 70's, it was popular (at least in my town) to burn the edges of documents like that to 'antique' them and glue or varnish them to wood in high school shop class as a project

Upvote 0
back in the 70's, it was popular (at least in my town) to burn the edges of documents like that to 'antique' them and glue or varnish them to wood in high school shop class as a project

We even used coffee or tea to age them....You brought back some memories!:laughing7:

Upvote 0
We even used coffee or tea to age them....You brought back some memories!:laughing7:
Yea we did it too lol. We used coffee and tea on confederate play money. BTW I also have this Declaration of Independence. Mine is from the 60s-70s I think. But mine does not have the burnt edges. But mine is on parchment paper, stiff and yellowed. Also packed away somewhere. Purchased most likely from a gift shop somewhere.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks everyone for the replies. I'm still unable to find anything online that has the paragraph at the bottom, as well as "WJ Stone SC Wash"

Upvote 0
Bought one just like it in the gift shop when I visited the Smithsonian a few years back.

Upvote 0
Bought one just like it in the gift shop when I visited the Smithsonian a few years back.

Nice, does it have the paragraph and "WJ Stone SC WASH" at the bottom??

Could you post a pic?

Upvote 0
I have one in parchment that came in a box of papers after my Dad died along with some George Mason stuff.. I assumed it was junk. Im gonna have to take a second look lol.

Upvote 0
Sooo are you saying mine could be one of the valuable ones.???

Archives.gov was the first website I researched so I've been all over that website. Even though it talks ab WJ Stone I still can't find any info about the bottom paragraph.
No, just vintage and one of thousands of different prints. I have one somewhere myself. Don't know where at the moment though.

Upvote 0
No, just vintage and one of thousands of different prints. I have one somewhere myself. Don't know where at the moment though.

With thousands of prints, shouldn't I be able to find similar ones online. I understand there are remakes and I hate repeating myself..... But where is one WITH THE PARAGRAPH ON THE BOTTOM?

Upvote 0

Google search for " Declaration of Independence gift shop replica"
image.jpg

NO PARAGRAPH

Art.com
image.jpg

NO PARAGRAPH

Mount Vernon gift shop
image.jpg

NO PARAGRAPH

Smithsonian online store
image.jpg

NOTHING SIMILAR

Upvote 0
Newly Discovered Stone Printing of Declaration of Independence Brings $597,500 - Autograph Magazine

In all, 200 official parchment copies were struck from the Stone plate in 1823 (with an extra struck for Stone). Each copy is identified as “ENGRAVED by W. I. STONE for the Dept of State, by order” in the upper left corner, followed by “of J. Q. ADAMS, Sect. of State July 4th 1824” in the upper right.

They were also printed on Parchment. Yours appears to be a vintage copy. It even says so on the bottom. IDK maybe you could get a few bucks more for yours since its a bit different than the modern ones, with the paragraph on the bottom stating its a facsimile.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Is it glued to that piece of wood?

Wow thanks for that link, haven't came across that site yet.

Yes it is stuck to the wood, not sure if it's glued though? I might be dumb but it has a glossy finish...more like a coating??

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back