OP
OP
J

Jellybabycake

Greenie
Jun 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's vey dark brown with lighter brown flecks.. Kind of like a wood effect.. But very very dark. Will attach a photograph soon..

OP
OP
J

Jellybabycake

Greenie
Jun 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are a few pics.. I have searched the net and can't find any thy looks the same!

Attachments

• image-3901115377.jpg
    image-3901115377.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 135
  • image-2658222597.jpg
    image-2658222597.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 138
  • image-2738267209.jpg
    image-2738267209.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 133
  • image-3963706699.jpg
    image-3963706699.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 136
  • image-608406700.jpg
    image-608406700.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 135
  • image-893104265.jpg
    image-893104265.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 141

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay here are my thoughts on this pen...

Well the nib is from a De La Rue Onoto obviously. I don't believe the pen is. That nib may be 14k gold. You should pull it out and check, be very careful not to bend or damage the pointed end of it. The nib is probably the part part of this pen. The pen itself "resembles" a Waterman's No.52 or maybe even a No. 5 in styling but ... If there are no other marks other than patent dates and the generic clasp manufacturers names the it may be a generic run of the mill pen. There should be some identifying marks on the pen itself, unless it has been damaged and you cannot read it. Any quality pen/pencil maker would have their mark on the clasp, band, nib, and sometimes the body of the pen itself.They would not use Argus or Ideal parts.

Oh yeah, it's "hard rubber" just as you said.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Writing Instruments are key collectibles

I'm not sure about the pen you have, but I'm always on the hunt for the deal of the century as I call it. Old writing instruments are in the top ten of my check it out list. This old sterling pencil I got for 3 bucks, did my research and found it to be made by the company of Edward Todd. I cleaned it up and put it up with two other writing instruments I paid pocket change for and all three sold for more then 200 bucks. It looks like De La rue has produced very fine pens and the collectors have a way of restoring them.

Vintage Edward Todd Co Sterling Silver Pencil Great Condition | eBay

Attachments

• Edward Todd pencil uncleaned.jpg
    Edward Todd pencil uncleaned.jpg
    231 KB · Views: 179
OP
OP
J

Jellybabycake

Greenie
Jun 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay here are my thoughts on this pen...

Well the nib is from a De La Rue Onoto obviously. I don't believe the pen is. That nib may be 14k gold. You should pull it out and check, be very careful not to bend or damage the pointed end of it. The nib is probably the part part of this pen. The pen itself "resembles" a Waterman's No.52 or maybe even a No. 5 in styling but ... If there are no other marks other than patent dates and the generic clasp manufacturers names the it may be a generic run of the mill pen. There should be some identifying marks on the pen itself, unless it has been damaged and you cannot read it. Any quality pen/pencil maker would have their mark on the clasp, band, nib, and sometimes the body of the pen itself.They would not use Argus or Ideal parts.

Oh yeah, it's "hard rubber" just as you said.

The is some engraving on the rubber that has a date of August 1884, then something else, but hard to tell as he has been warn away, but it also looks like of a design of the stylographic pen made from Bakelite, from de la rue also.. Thanks for all your help!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread