Date a button?

MissIron.Maiden

Dec 30, 2013
I live in an area with a lot of history and was curious about finding an approximate age for this button company... Will Cleaver London .But so far no luck . Only thing I found online was a guy on here trying to find out about the same kind of button . It's nothing special , front side is totally flat and plain.

image-3417274595.jpg

Before cleaning

image-1563405304.jpg

It was noted in a similar inquiry online that there is a small underlined "m" after the name Will, so William is likely the name indicated. One guy claimed to have been told 1796-1802, but gave no reference for that info. That does fit though with the the time period in which this style of button was being manufactured and imported here (which continued into the 1830's, at which point we began mass producing them in the US). -and this is just ballpark figures, I know that more precise info may follow.

Upvote 0
It was noted in a similar inquiry online that there is a small underlined "m" after the name Will, so William is likely the name indicated. One guy claimed to have been told 1796-1802, but gave no reference for that info. That does fit though with the the time period in which this style of button was being manufactured and imported here (which continued into the 1830's, at which point we began mass producing them in the US.
Thank you. Not to bad for finding it a couple steps from 1940's house:)

Upvote 0
If you google "William Cleaver tailor London" some info pops up on a gent by that name that might fit time frame of button

Upvote 0
There was definitely something there older than that a one time, I would say 1820-30ish sweet find.

Upvote 0
There was definitely something there older than that a one time, I would say 1820-30ish sweet find.
We are on old farmland. The house next door was built in late 1700's. I've detected my yard to death, but still find a few things. Judging by the number of old iron nails and broken burnt sandstone and melted bits of misc. metals , and lead glass I'd say a house and or various structures sat here. The best things I have found ... Have all been just beyond the perimeter of my yard.. Lol

Upvote 0
very rough time frame for flat buttons in general is from about 1770 to 1830 (60 year time frame roughly)

Upvote 0
From what I have read on here in the past, a good rule of thumb is raised back mark letters indicates late 1700's, indented letters 1800's +

Upvote 0
Nice flat button MIM. Before I started md'ing, I would have laughed if someone had told me such an item would ever mean so much to me.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back