Silver Member
Sep 22, 2006
lower sackville,nova scotia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garretts only
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From the land of the Bluenose.....well another day of rain but Navy Davy and I weren't thwarded! Lord love a duck.....and I have the feet just like them but at least I don't hang around parks looking for folks to throw me bread crumbs. No sir I go to parks hoping that folks lose some spare change or other goodies.

Hit a not too local playing field that was somewhat generous then went in search of an old ball park in the area that eluded us. Along the way looking for the park had to stop the car. A Kodak moment and a first for this bouy as I have never seen one of these beasts other then in a zoo. Man it was a game of ring around the rosey with that bouy as everytime I circled to get a good shot he circled and gave me one hateful look! Let me tell you me son a manicurist would cringe if it had to do the nails on that amphibious juggernaut.
fgfdgggg.jpg

jhww.jpg

Navy Davy told me it was a snapping turtle and that it would do just that if I put my fingers near it. Grumpy little sod!

Was a few bricks short of a load digging on such a day and a few coins short of quota so we hit old faithful that was looking like a water hazzard on a golf course and we did find a few of those golf eggs!
yukuykuyk.jpg

Navy Davy ended the day with 30 coins, a pair of golf eggs and a butterfly dewie in the quagmire.
dghnsjeyui.jpg

As for this bouy it was a dinkie that obviously had met my "Buddy" on some road, a golf egg, a nose cone from a radio controlled airplane (they were grounded today due to inclimate weather and high winds) and 87 coins @ $10.88
wrtyhtwrywrywtyw.jpg

Upvote 0
Nice finds :thumbsup: and you were absolutely correct to keep your fingers (and anything else you want to keep attached to your body) out of his reach. Those are very common critters around here and I learned at a very young age to give them plenty of respect. I have ran into a couple while out fishing that would top 100lbs.

HH Charlie

Great pics Les! Glad to see all is well up North 8)

My oh my them turtles are good eating! I've passed up a few this spring, just too small to take, they gotta be at least 15" wide at the shell for me....give me turtle soup and make it snappy! ffd

How funny...My 17 yr old son just brought me one of those sweet little fellas last week. "Hey Mom.....I brought you something!" Mine was about the size of a silver dollar. Even he would take off a finger!

Looks like you found a nice pile of loot! Good job! Thanks for sharing your story....... :icon_thumleft:

HH,
Moon

you are absolutely right fistfull they do make excellent soup. even the french chefs love turtle soup. he'd be in a bucket headed for the soup pot around me. you can only grab the tail and hold them far away from your body or be a very quick healer.

hi i have that same coin, in the lower right of last pic,
do you know what it is?

taste like chicken! they can snap a broom handle in half,had a friend whose father lost a thumb to one.they still ate it.(not the thumb) :thumbsup:

AWESOME SNAPPER, HERE IN MINNESOTA WE HAVE TONS OF THEM... I AM FRIENDS WITH A COUPLE GUYS THAT MAKE A LIVING IN THE SRING FINDING SNAPPER NESTING AREAS AND SELLING THERE EGGS ABROAD IN CHINA. WORTH A FORTUNE I GUESS!!! NASTY LITTLE BUGGERS THOU. THEY WILL TAKE A COUPLE FINGERS OFF IN A BITE OR CLAMP ON TO YOU AND WOULDN'T LET GO. THEY SAY THAT IF YOU CUT THEIR HEAD OFF WHILE ATTACTED TO SOMETHING THEY WILL HOLD ON UNTIL YOU CUT THE JAW OFF. NOT SOMETHING I LIKE TO SEE BUT I GUESS THEY ARE BETTER THAN RATTLE SNAKES.

Great finds, and leave those snapping turtles alone if you know what's good for you. ;D

Send me some of that rain, we need it bad.

:wink: RR

Neat stuff. The turtle is rumored to ket go when it thunders! I was bank fishing below a dam several years ago and had just got off work as a graveyard shift cop. Still had my .45 Auto and holster on and a rain poncho as is was misting rain. I found one lure and one only that the sandbass were hitting pretty steadily and all the other fishermen along the bank started crowding my spot and trying to horn in on my catch as fishermen are want to do. Anyway I got a jolt and reeled in about a 15 lb snapper on 8 pound line. He was not a happy camper and wouldn't voluntarily let go of my one good lure even though I was gently trying to talk him out of it. I had put on a heavy leather glove and he grabbed one of the fingers, luckily missing my fingertip. So, growing weary of the tug of war, I pulled out my pistol and blew his head off! I retrieved my lure and as I was retying I noticed I had the bank to myself! I still chuckle about it when I think of what a crowd clearer that loud boom of the old .45 made. Monty

let the pissed off guy with the 45 auto have that spot all by hisself. --bet thats what they thought. ;D

I bump into a turtle almost eveytime out. Too funny...

HH Ronin

best give that snapper a bit of distance -- nasty critter will take a chuck outta ya if he can if you mess with em.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back