Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So today was my last chance to do some detecting, as of tomorrow we will be below freezing until the spring. I have detected the tiny village where I live to death, so I crossed the border to detect the American side of our town. I was having zero luck, digging only memorial cents at the three spots I hit. Then I noticed a mowed open area with an old trail and possibly the impression of where an old building once stood. I detected for a few minutes, still finding nothing great, and when I was down digging, I noticed a loose young pitbull watering the grass maybe 20 yards from me. I stood up, he noticed me and was interested. I stood up and slowly turned and walked through the area, across the road, and onto the porch of the nearest house. I knocked, nobody was home, the dog stared at me from the street for a few minutes. I heard another dog bark in the distance, and the pitbull trotted down the street. I was a little freaked, as I had a much worse experience last weekend.

Last Saturday I got permission to detect an old family farm from a sweet 90 year young lady. She had to leave while I detected, so I was happy to have some uninterrupted detecting time. I heard what I thought was someone calling me, I removed the headphones and hollered "hello"? No response, so I continued. Then, through the bushes, right beside my truck, I see a huge pitbull, and he looked annoyed. There was nobody around, and I was a good distance from my truck, and the dog. I figured he was going to check me out, and I'd rather face him close to the house where someone may come along, rather than in the garden behind the house and bushes. I removed my headphones, gripped my Lesche, and walked to my truck...and the growling pitbull. The truck was locked, no time to fumble with keys, I kept walking until I ran the last eight or nine yards and leaped into the box of my truck. I know it's better to stay calm and not show fear, but I believe the dog was inevitably going to engage me. So there I am, standing in my box, the dog growling on the ground, and nobody around, and only distant farmhouses on the flat prairie horizon. Great. Then I see a tractor out in a field, the driver waving his arms, and I could hear a faint whistle. The dog looked at me before turning to run across the field to the tractor, and whom I assume was the dogs owner. Sigh of relief lol!

Now I'm not a chicken, I'm nearly 6'4, and 235 lbs. I also LOVE dogs! However, these particular dogs are unpredictable, and I don't trust them. A seven year old boy that I know was bitten on the face a couple of weeks ago by a pitbull, in the dogs house, right in front of the dogs owner. I know they can be a good dog, but the erratic behaviour makes me wish they were better controlled and restrained by the owners.

Anybody else have close calls with dogs while detecting? I'm going to carry my knife with me from now on.

Upvote 11
Have never had an experience with bad dogs while MD'ing in the woods, but was cutting my grass (yes, cutting my grass IN MY YARD) after work two years ago and the neighbors (two doors over) came in and the daughter just opens the front door and lets all their dogs out into the front yard (against the leash law we have here). I think it was three dachshunds and one Catahoula curr. The Curr comes in my yard and sneaks up behind me and proceeds to bite me on the left calf. Drove myself to the Urgent Care facility and fortunately, it wasn't serous enough for stitches but they gave me a tetanus shot. The girls father paid my copay, it was the least he could do.

Long story behind it but he had gotten the dog from his work, which is a freight truck facility. A truck driver had picked that dog up somewhere in Louisiana and left it at the terminal. The owner of the business said it had to go, just my luck that dumb neighbor brought it to MY neighborhood. He said that the dog goes nuts over loud machines, he has to put it out in the backyard to vacuum his house. Guess he didn't like my lawn mower lol.

They were bred to fight ..... Other dogs!.. They were often killed if they even tried to bite to owner/ handler! Because the last thing you want in the middle of a dog fight, is the dog to turn on the owner when done- they did not fight them to the death as believed- most spent alot of time and money on these dogs(sick but true) just like any other fighting sport, fight then heal... Etc! So inherently these dogs are not aggressive towrds people infact just the opposite, i have and do own pit bulls, bulldogges' and i will say in most cases it is fear that an owner instilled in them- ie afraid of socialization thus leading to uncomfortableness around strangers which equals dominance. Ie growling barking etc- knowing how the dog is barking and his posture will save your butt! I have trusted all my dogs 99% of the time but in the end still a animal! They just get a bad rap cuz when they do something it is 120% effort! When i doubt run like hell tho!

Garrett, what a nightmare that must have been. Thank God that dog was killed. Those poor, poor cows.

It was horrendous; the worst and most intense animal encounter of my life; hopefully the last. I felt really bad for the cows but I was SO thankful that the creature never came across my kids. I can't even imagine nor do I want to. I shudder to think.....

Last edited:
They were bred to fight ..... Other dogs!.. They were often killed if they even tried to bite to owner/ handler! Because the last thing you want in the middle of a dog fight, is the dog to turn on the owner when done- they did not fight them to the death as believed- most spent alot of time and money on these dogs(sick but true) just like any other fighting sport, fight then heal... Etc! So inherently these dogs are not aggressive towrds people infact just the opposite, i have and do own pit bulls, bulldogges' and i will say in most cases it is fear that an owner instilled in them- ie afraid of socialization thus leading to uncomfortableness around strangers which equals dominance. Ie growling barking etc- knowing how the dog is barking and his posture will save your butt! I have trusted all my dogs 99% of the time but in the end still a animal! They just get a bad rap cuz when they do something it is 120% effort! When i doubt run like hell tho!

I have owned a few, Sweet and protective. They got along with cats, other dogs etc. Can they be trained to be mean?
Well yeh they are built for it! I can bench press a small truck...so who would be better suited to be a gladiator? Not the best example I guess... Training them to fight is animal abuse.

I was attacked by a female Springer Spaniel when I was about 10. I knew that dog for years and pet it all the time. One day I was petting her as usual and she just grabbed my hand and bit the hell out of it. I instinctively slammed my fist directly down on top of it's head and it let go of me. It didn't break the skin but came really close. It definitely hurt like hell.

I had another black Lab mix, female. That dog loved me and became really protective of me. Afetr a while it started HATING my wife.
If she even hugged me that dog would growl and threaten her.

As it turned out, she was chasing a deer across a field one night and ran right into the road in front of a passing car. She was killed instantly. The car never even stopped.

It was really sad but in a way I felt that it may have been a blessing given how aggressive the dog had become toward my wife. She was beginning to fear the dog and that's never good; especially with a more dominant dog. Dunno' why she became that way because she was treated extremely well. To this day I believe she was just jealous. Dogs do have emotions.

I've had quite a few dogs and I would say that two of them just weren't great dogs. One in particular was just really hard to train. It took him forever to make any connections. He wasn't mean at all but he just wasn't too bright. My favorite dog (the one that was stolen) was super intelligent. I was able to housebreak him in a couple of days. If I told him to "sit" he would sit until I told him to get up; completely obedient.

We had a bull get loose one day and that dog instinctively knew by watching me that I needed to get the bull back through the gate. He then instinctively chased that bull directly where he needed to go; nipping at his heels when necessary. I had never trained him to do anything of the kind. Needless to say, I was really impressed. That one was always eager to please.

Dogs are much like people in some ways. They have all sorts of personalities; some good, some bad. Ultimately, because they're pack animals, they'll will either dominate or submit and you need to know the difference. The best case is to become the leader of the pack in their eyes.

Last edited:
Pitbuls are over hyped by media...Theres just as many bitings and encounters with "family" dogs as any other, you just don't here about them because pits are used for fighting by scumbags. I've heard more stories of german shepards attacking people than any dog. They are great dogs, protective and a dominant breed, yes...but very loyal and great all around dogs if RAISED right. My pitbul has been my best friend for going on 8.5 years now and I wouldn't trade him for anything. He goes fishing, creek walking, artifact hunting, detecting you name it he does it and LOVES to meet other people especially kids.

Any animal or human for that matter if put through enough will be changed by it. Pitbul or not.
"every dog has his day"...not "every pitbul has his day". Ok I'm done griping, pitbul hysteria is just one topic that really annoys me.

I've only been bitten by small dogs and because they don't do any "damage" they are some of the most fierce dogs I have experienced. Also had a scary experience with a nikita, which is a big, powerful and very dominant breed, but luckily no damage done. Still am a dog lover though :thumbsup:

I have trained my dogs to be vicious attack dogs. So, if you come to my house, please be aware of them for your own safety!
2014013195082450.jpg

I have trained my dogs to be vicious attack dogs. So, if you come to my house, please be aware of them for your own safety!
View attachment 1265522

hey, some small dogs can be really nasty.

back in the 80's my brother had moved in with his fiancee and she had three dogs; two mid sized and one a bit smaller. they were poorly "trained".
I came to the door for the very first time and they were all going crazy. I asked if they were friendly and she said, "they're fine. They don't bite' come on in".

The minute my leg went through that door one of them bit me right on the knee. I kicked that dog one time and he backed off, barking and growling at me. She then proceeded to start yelling at ME rather than apologizing for not restraining her animals. the girl had NO CLUE how to handle dogs.
I'll never forget it. It's pretty funny in hindsight but at the time it kinda' hurt.

I'm one of those people that kids and animals gravitate toward for whatever reason. For some reason on that day, the rule definitely did not apply.

One more reason to never leave home without "it"…...

When I do woods hunts or hunt areas far away from people or roads there's three things I will always have. A small concealed side arm, my charged cell phone, and water.

My pit passed away last year. She was the most loyal dog and sweetest dog I've ever met. Leery of strangers on her turf but would never bit or engage, just bark until she was confident they didn't pose a threat. At that point she was all face licks and cuddles.
Round here we have feral dogs, mostly from dumped or lost [deer] hunting dog stock. The feral hounds and lab mutts are sketchy as all get out and highly unpredictable.

hey, some small dogs can be really nasty.

back in the 80's my brother had moved in with his fiancee and she had three dogs; two mid sized and one a bit smaller. they were poorly "trained".
I came to the door for the very first time and they were all going crazy. I asked if they were friendly and she said, "they're fine. They don't bite' come on in".

The minute my leg went through that door one of them bit me right on the knee. I kicked that dog one time and he backed off, barking and growling at me. She then proceeded to start yelling at ME rather than apologizing for not restraining her animals. the girl had NO CLUE how to handle dogs.
I'll never forget it. It's pretty funny in hindsight but at the time it kinda' hurt.

I'm one of those people that kids and animals gravitate toward for whatever reason. For some reason on that day, the rule definitely did not apply.

If you come busting in my house like that you will get the licking of your life fella! Of course it will be mainly below the knees because the aren't tall enough to lick knees....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back