Dad found this today.. wondering what it is?

Tlh325

Jun 5, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
at pro
gpx4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some sort of pin maybe? Pin.jpegPin2.jpeg

Do not be mislead by thinking they are "captain" bars as different branches of the military have different names for that particular rank. For example, in the US Navy, they would be worn by a lieutenant. What is common between the branches is the rank, regardless of name, comes from the pay grade 0-3. Which means they would have been worn by an officer who had made two advancements in rank. Great find!

Upvote 0
I think it would be the Navy Lieutenant variety, as the front is flat rather than having beveled edges. And the crossbars are all the wat to the outside, where the army had them closer together. I see it’s marked Sterling, can you make out any other marks?

Upvote 0
I see a mark but cant make out if its marked Sterling. I had some old military items from WWII and none were marked that i recall.

If it is Sterling, what time period may that indicate?

Upvote 0
I can't remember ever seeing that style attachment on any military rank insignia. All I can bring to mind is the clutch back style. Maybe someone can post a picture of the pin back type for my benefit.

Upvote 0
I think it would be the Navy Lieutenant variety, as the front is flat rather than having beveled edges. And the crossbars are all the wat to the outside, where the army had them closer together. I see it’s marked Sterling, can you make out any other marks?

If I remember correctly a navy LT. only had one bar, Captain had two.

Upvote 0
LTJG is one bar in Navy, LT is two bars, both being silver. Captain in Navy equals Colonel in Army.

Upvote 0
It does say sterling on the back. Any idea on age?

Upvote 0
Yep, looks like Caption bars to me.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back