Silver Saver

Mar 15, 2017
Great Plains
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
D2.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's always been tough finding old coins in my city parks, I'm lucky if I find 1 silver and feel successful if I manage 1 wheat. But I had a 3 silver hunt so I thought I'd share my last 4 outings this last week.

Now that I know the D2 a little better, I gave DeepHC try. I tried it when I first started with the D2 but the falsing made it hard as a D2 noob. 40khz programs are so stable and I rarely dig trash with fast. I dug some trash with DHC, but I felt comfortable.

Some of the trash sounded good, some iffy, all had repeatability worth investigating, but almost all still had some sign before the dig it could be trash. Whether it was a slight sputter, iron grunt, or tone change while rotating. Checking with all metal(GB) or a 40khz program also helped clear up the picture on some of the iffys.

I also hit one area with horrible EMI and loaded with trash and switched back to fast in that spot for the stability.

Out of the 3 silver dimes I found, I also checked them in fast before digging to see if fast would get them too. Both programs setup the exact same: Silencer 0, BC 2, R-0, AR 5, ground stabilizer 1. 1st dime fast did not see at all, 2nd was super weak/choppy and I had to work to get a signal so I'm not sure I would've seen it with a normal pass, the last dime both picked up.

DeepHC was hitting much more alertive on deep coin signals when comparing to 40khz FMF, which is to be expected.

The other 3 hunts I found 1 wheat, 2 wheats, and 0 wheats. With an average of 4-5 hours per hunt. All at public parks. The 3 mercs were 37, 37-D, 42. Wheats were 29-D, 45-D, 56.

I also had 1 hunt where my WSA-XL died on me! I thought I was good for another hunt, but lesson learned! There were fireworks going off so I wired up my killer b hornets and they do not sound great with the D2. Very monotone(I believe they only worked in mono switch). Still better than the D2 speaker, but the WSA-XL sound much better. Especially with the EQ and FT offset on high conductor range.

Thanks for looking.
20240708_190423.jpg
20240708_191507.jpg

It's always been tough finding old coins in my city parks, I'm lucky if I find 1 silver and feel successful if I manage 1 wheat. But I had a 3 silver hunt so I thought I'd share my last 4 outings this last week.

Now that I know the D2 a little better, I gave DeepHC try. I tried it when I first started with the D2 but the falsing made it hard as a D2 noob. 40khz programs are so stable and I rarely dig trash with fast. I dug some trash with DHC, but I felt comfortable.

Some of the trash sounded good, some iffy, all had repeatability worth investigating, but almost all still had some sign before the dig it could be trash. Whether it was a slight sputter, iron grunt, or tone change while rotating. Checking with all metal(GB) or a 40khz program also helped clear up the picture on some of the iffys.

I also hit one area with horrible EMI and loaded with trash and switched back to fast in that spot for the stability.

Out of the 3 silver dimes I found, I also checked them in fast before digging to see if fast would get them too. Both programs setup the exact same: Silencer 0, BC 2, R-0, AR 5, ground stabilizer 1. 1st dime fast did not see at all, 2nd was super weak/choppy and I had to work to get a signal so I'm not sure I would've seen it with a normal pass, the last dime both picked up.

DeepHC was hitting much more alertive on deep coin signals when comparing to 40khz FMF, which is to be expected.
Have you tried Deep HC (Prg 6)?
I've had really good results with that after hitting the same areas with the 5 programs preceding it.

I also had 1 hunt where my WSA-XL died on me!
I've had that happen twice. IDK about the first time, but this last time I know I still had some charge.

Both times, everything worked fine after charging; no loss of pairing. 🤞🏼

Well done on the silvers. Congrats 👏

Round nails seem to have just enough tone/# to give them a look.

Another trick is setting up the X/Y setting and having it beside the program you're using.
Simple switch to ID if iron or not.

How deep were the dimes?

Well done on the silvers. Congrats 👏

Round nails seem to have just enough tone/# to give them a look.

Another trick is setting up the X/Y setting and having it beside the program you're using.
Simple switch to ID if iron or not.

How deep were the dimes?
I've never utilized the XY screen, I'll have to give it a try. When I dug them I actually thought they were going to be deeper than they were, maybe 7-7.5". The depth meter was pegged on the first one with the 11" coil. My guess is orientation played a part.

I've never utilized the XY screen, I'll have to give it a try. When I dug them I actually thought they were going to be deeper than they were, maybe 7-7.5". The depth meter was pegged on the first one with the 11" coil. My guess is orientation played a part.
Depth meter on the D2?
Do tell please.

There's a depth meter ‽ 🤨
I haven't found that yet, but I will (if it's there). 😒

Been meaning to check out the XY screen. One thing has me confused. 😕
On page 29, where it describes the XY screen, one line says:

Alternating display between programs/battery level, hour
What do they mean by "hour"? There's no clock I'm aware of. Are they talking about time left on the battery? :icon_scratch:

I'm still figuring out the idiosyncrasies of Pinpoint mode, but I've gotten my hole size down from 12"+ diameter to 8-9" diameter. :thumbsup:

What do they mean by "hour"? There's no clock I'm aware of. Are they talking about time left on the battery? :icon_scratch:

I'm still figuring out the idiosyncrasies of Pinpoint mode, but I've gotten my hole size down from 12"+ diameter to 8-9" diameter. :thumbsup:
Very nice, very nice! :laughing7: IDK about the XY screen, but the normal layout does show all those things alternating. Clock and battery levels.

Very nice, very nice! :laughing7: IDK about the XY screen, but the normal layout does show all those things alternating. Clock and battery levels.
Sonofagun, the damn thing DOES have a clock. It doesn't show (currently) on my display, but I found it under Options: Settings: Clock

Strange... (or maybe not... :dontknow: ) When I turn the RC off, it retains the time I set, but not the Profile setting.

The horshoe bar graph, the less it fills in with black the deeper the object is. The more filled in with black, the shallower
I did not know that.

Standard multi-information display, with target index in bold
+ the F/NF (ferrous/non-ferrous) graph indicating also the in-
tensity of the target
to assess the depth.
I do notice more of the horseshoe(?) fills in with larger targets; I hadn't noticed any correlation to depth. I'll try to be more attentive. 😔

Nice write-up. I think the silver "knob" is possibly off a band instrument. I found one exactly like that at an old football field. In the same area I found a few band uniform buttons. Not sure what part of an instrument it would be. Maybe marching drum? Anybody?

The horshoe bar graph, the less it fills in with black the deeper the object is. The more filled in with black, the shallower
I thought it was just a display of signal strength? A big piece of metal down deep can have similar signal strength to a smaller piece that's shallow. so both would look similar on the horseshoe and neither would tell you much about depth?

Congrats on the great finds !

I always have a Portable Power Supply in my detecting gear box.
The kind that a lot of people use for cell phones,etc. - paid around $25.00 for mine on Amazon.
Very handy - if my Deus batteries are low - I just charge it on the way to a hunt.

Good Hunting !

I thought it was just a display of signal strength? A big piece of metal down deep can have similar signal strength to a smaller piece that's shallow. so both would look similar on the horseshoe and neither would tell you much about depth?
True. I think that's how most depth meters work though, shows target intensity and gives depth readings based on coin sized targets.

So I guess it's more useful as a depth meter for a guy like me who mainly hunts for same sized targets over and over(coins)

Edit: I also find it useful for determining iron falsing. If the bar shows "deep" but the tone is still somewhat strong, I can gauge that it's most likely not a coin sized target. Since a coin target would be a more weak tone at that same intensity reading.

Last edited:
Yes I do! I was wondering what it could be. Got some weight to it too. The hole is threadedView attachment 2158214

If the other (top) side is convex, how is it sitting flat in this pic (or is it)? :icon_scratch:

It does look like an end cap from a flute (or piccolo?)

Someone who works in a music store that caters to bands & orchestras may be able to nail it down better.

If the other (top) side is convex, how is it sitting flat in this pic (or is it)? :icon_scratch:

It does look like an end cap from a flute (or piccolo?)

Someone who works in a music store that caters to bands & orchestras may be able to nail it down better.
It is convex, just well balanced I guess! :) also picture illusion of being flat

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back