cap1.JPG
    14.4 KB · Views: 489
  • cap2.JPG
    cap2.JPG
    14.9 KB · Views: 484
  • cap3.JPG
    cap3.JPG
    9 KB · Views: 486
looks like a thimble? used for mending a soldier's uniform?

thimble4.jpg

here's an old thimble, but yours looks like it might be too shallow to be a thimble?

Upvote 0
Not sure. Not as deep as a thimble. I tried to put on my finger, it just fell off.

1dk

Upvote 0
downindixie said:
looks like the cap part of an inner tube repair kit.The raised part was used to scuff the tube up before applying adhesive and patch.
That was my first thought as well, but brass? maybe it scuffed something else cw related

Upvote 0
I have to agree with nhbenz

Upvote 0
I found something that looks very similar on a CW relic site. Unfortunatley the seller identified it as an unknown brass cap or lid....not much help, but his did come from the Chancellorsville battle field. It is shown in the top center of the photo. Does it look the same to you folks?
1dk

Attachments

• brasscap.jpg
    brasscap.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 311
Upvote 0
Hi All My TH'ing Friends
Going back to what was originally suggested; could this be a muzzle cover for a rifle? I have two that were made by pounding a 58 Cal three ringer into a plug for a rifle. I found both of mine in a Civil War encampment in Leesburg VA.
Thanks
Dave Mork
'Digger-Dave'
THing4CSA
PS: Remember; Don't leave it in the ground!

Upvote 0
I'm voting with DowninDixie - part of an innertube repair kit. Seems I've used that very thing as a kid. Came immediately to mine before I even saw his response. Put your inder finger in the cup and scuff the rubber so the cement sticks better.

Doubt it would be a tampion (muzzle cover). All I've seen have been wood or are wood for the portion that enters the barrel, and are split so they grip but not tightly.

Upvote 0
Hi All My TH'ing Friends
I must disagree with the comments about all muzzle covers being wood. I have two that were field made and fit the muzzle of a 58 Cal rifle barrel.
Thanks
Dave Mork
'Digger-Dave'
THing4CSA

Attachments

• MVC-003F.JPG
    MVC-003F.JPG
    47 KB · Views: 211
  • MVC-004F.JPG
    MVC-004F.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 191
  • MVC-005F.JPG
    MVC-005F.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 192
Upvote 0
THing4CSA said:
Hi All My TH'ing Friends
I must disagree with the comments about all muzzle covers being wood. I have two that were field made and fit the muzzle of a 58 Cal rifle barrel.
Thanks
Dave Mork
'Digger-Dave'
THing4CSA

Read it again.

All I've seen have been wood or are wood for the portion that enters the barrel[/b], and are split so they grip but not tightly.
I seldon speak or write in absolutes.

Now I've seen two objects that may have been field-fashioned tampions (or game pieces). The base would already fit the muzzle as the Miniè is a loose but close fit to begin with. I have fired enough muzzleloaders to know that you don't want to fire one with a heavy obstruction at the muzzle. That can make a rifle a hand grenade. So if those are loose enough fits that they would fall out of their own as the rifle is leveled or the flange is wide enough that they are obvious to the shooter he still has a capped muzzle they may well be what you say. We all know what is issued is often different from what is used in the field, and issued small items are easily lost.

Upvote 0
If it's steel I would say an axle end cover as mentioned. If brass I would be more likely to agree on it being a civil war piece. How's that for straddling the fence? Monty

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back