Curious about this piece of copper.

-=METAL=-

Sep 13, 2013
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,

Since the ground has been on lock down due to the new ice age, I've been looking over some of my old finds that I was never able to identify. I came across this one. Not saying that this is a copper arrowhead, but I did find this with my e-trac in an old Native American site. Just thought it kind of resembled a point. Can anyone tell me anything about this? Thanks in advance guys, and I envy anyone in an area not covered with snow, you lucky people, you.
copper piece.jpg

I'm also being told now that the cuts on the right side would have been made by shears not available during that period. I definitely have my doubts now. I do know that the site was occupied by Natives until the early 18th century. Would it still be impossible for something to make these cuts back then? Thank you for your responses. Always appreciated.
"The technology for reworking copper remained fairly simple during the first half of the seventeenth century. Sheet metal was reduced to the desired size by either scoring and folding or by cutting. The increased availability of iron knives and, by the second quarter of the century, scissors, made this a fairly easy process." - James W. Bradley, "Evolution of the Onondaga Iroquois: Accommodating Change, 1500-1655."
I'm not here to argue, but please forward that along to whoever thinks that scissors didn't exist back then... ha ha.

Upvote 0
"The technology for reworking copper remained fairly simple during the first half of the seventeenth century. Sheet metal was reduced to the desired size by either scoring and folding or by cutting. The increased availability of iron knives and, by the second quarter of the century, scissors, made this a fairly easy process." - James W. Bradley, "Evolution of the Onondaga Iroquois: Accommodating Change, 1500-1655."
I'm not here to argue, but please forward that along to whoever thinks that scissors didn't exist back then... ha ha.

Awesome! I hate to get into an argument on the forums myself but I feel like I should pass that on, I'll give it some thought as people on the artifact forum might get a little angry if I persist.

Again though, that is good news to hear, I really want this thing to be a point damnit!

Upvote 0
This is some of the stuff that is not in my shead I recently found:

Attachments

• CAM00444.jpg
    CAM00444.jpg
    555.5 KB · Views: 63
  • CAM00445.jpg
    CAM00445.jpg
    669.3 KB · Views: 68
  • CAM00445-1.jpg
    CAM00445-1.jpg
    294.9 KB · Views: 66
  • CAM00446.jpg
    CAM00446.jpg
    606.5 KB · Views: 64
Upvote 0
Sorry to disappoint but you all are wrong...that is Captain Kirk's Star Trek badge/communicator. He apparently lost it during a little extracurricular activity while traveling back in time to an Indian village.

Upvote 0
Sorry to disappoint but you all are wrong...that is Captain Kirk's Star Trek badge/communicator. He apparently lost it during a little extracurricular activity while traveling back in time to an Indian village.

lol I got a good laugh from that one Bz, thanks :laughing7:

Upvote 0
Gotcha... Thanks for the pics, Ant. Recycling all that? If not maybe you can build something :^)

Upvote 0
No problem, yes I'm going to recycle it one day. I have 2 five gallon buckets of it in my shead and a mess of brass.

Upvote 0
I can see where a pair of snips cut the one side.So I believe it is more modern, but I wont argue that they could of had scissors during the time frame you think it could be from, but unless you were to find those scissors. I think it would be hard proving an Indian used scissors to fashion an arrowhead from the trade copper.IMO

Upvote 0
that could be one of King Philips pendants lol

Upvote 0
that could be one of King Philips pendants lol

I believe it must have been, I'm positive it was in his possession when he evaded the English down the Maury Path... I think it was used to take out scores of Englishmen... had to be! :laughing7:

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back