Curious about this piece of copper.

-=METAL=-

Sep 13, 2013
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,

Since the ground has been on lock down due to the new ice age, I've been looking over some of my old finds that I was never able to identify. I came across this one. Not saying that this is a copper arrowhead, but I did find this with my e-trac in an old Native American site. Just thought it kind of resembled a point. Can anyone tell me anything about this? Thanks in advance guys, and I envy anyone in an area not covered with snow, you lucky people, you.
copper piece.jpg

It may very well be a "preform" of a Native trade point. Are the edges beveled? I found a trade point and the maker did bevel the edges and tip for piercing power. Cool find, Sub 8-)

Upvote 0
Thanks for the response Subterranean. It does not appear to be beveled or sharpened as far as I can tell. The metal is sheet thin, but still somewhat rigid. Once my phone charges up I'll include a side view.

Upvote 0
Here's a side profile.
20150216_211936.jpg

Upvote 0
I think it looks a lot like a sheet brass point from the Trade Period (ca. 1500-1800). I've seen a lot of these and the material, thickness, and patination look good. The shape is unusual... usually they're much sharper angled... but these were handmade and thus had a lot of variety.

Upvote 0
I've read that the Native Americans made points from copper pots, and other sources of copper, besides trading for them ready made from white traders.

Upvote 0
Yes, that's true. I'm thinking that's what the poster here has.

Upvote 0
Thanks guys, I appreciate the responses. I've been wanting to dig up a metal arrowhead for a long time and didn't realize that I might have already found one, pretty awesome.

Upvote 0
I think it looks a lot like a sheet brass point from the Trade Period (ca. 1500-1800). I've seen a lot of these and the material, thickness, and patination look good. The shape is unusual... usually they're much sharper angled... but these were handmade and thus had a lot of variety.

If that is what it is than that would be amzing

Upvote 0
I find stuff like that all the time and attribute it to scraps left from roof flashing. But I'm not hunting sites that are exclusive to Native Americans either.

Upvote 0
I find stuff like that all the time and attribute it to scraps left from roof flashing. But I'm not hunting sites that are exclusive to Native Americans either.

There could very well have been a structure in the area at one time. Is it common for you to find them in this sort of shape? I'd like for it to be an arrowhead but I take everyone's opinion into consideration.

Upvote 0
I find them in all shapes, mostly cut from around plumbing vent and stove exhaust stacks which are easley recognised by their right angles with a half moon shape.

Upvote 0
I have something just like that except it is slightly thicker and is stamped with a weird hallmark, not sure what the thing I found is either.

Upvote 0

So I went ahead and posted this in the North American Indian Artifacts section just to see if anyone else could shed light on it. So far I have only gotten one response saying that it can't be a point as it is too thin and bendable. I don't really find it to be that bendable. Bendable yes, but definitely not flimsy. So I just want to reiterate, you have seen authentic brass points of this thickness?

Upvote 0
I find them in all shapes, mostly cut from around plumbing vent and stove exhaust stacks which are easley recognised by their right angles with a half moon shape.
I'd be interested to see what you mean, if you can supply a picture.

Upvote 0
*I'm not an expert* but I have a number of these points from known sites, and found a few myself that I think are legit. They vary in thickness but some are quite thin. Yours is very thin but I think still in the ballpark.
Sadly with things like this you'll probably never be 100% sure either way, though.
If you were on a historic (post-1492) Indian site, that's certainly a good piece of evidence.

BTW, try posting it on the Fur Trade board. It gets almost no traffic but they'll be the folks to ask.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Folks,

The natives reworked a lot of copper kettle metal into arrowheads, janglers, etc.....that could very well be what this item is.

Regards + HH

Bill

Upvote 0
I'm also being told now that the cuts on the right side would have been made by shears not available during that period. I definitely have my doubts now. I do know that the site was occupied by Natives until the early 18th century. Would it still be impossible for something to make these cuts back then? Thank you for your responses. Always appreciated.

Upvote 0
I'm not at home right now but when I get there I'll accommodate your request MarkDz.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back