CURB SIDE FIND

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• lc.jpg
    lc.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 724
Upvote 0
Floater,

That is a Large Cent, not a nickel. The clues are:

a) It is copper.

b) The only copper coins minted in 1826 were Large Cents and Half Cents. Nickels were not minted until 1866. (Half dimes were used before that.)

Get yourself a copy of the Red Book (A Guide Book of United States Coins) by Yeoman. It is a great source to help identify coins and get a rough idea of their values. It also gives the history of each denomination and type.

Gotta love those LC's! Nice one Lonewolf!

Thanks everyone,

I'll be going back tonight to see what else I can find, it's only a few house's from mine but,

gotta wait til almost dark because of the heat (it's in the 90s with high humidity)? ?>:(

I think I'm going to start water hunting for the rest of the time from now on until fall

I don't like detecting in this heat! ;D

HH

Lonewolfe

Michigan Badger said:
Nice going wolfe!? :o

I'm not doing too well on real coins lately (U.S.).? ::)

What do you use for a dip cleaner?

Can you believe back about 3 years ago I had 9 or 10 large cents all totally uncleaned and I sold them in a lot with other large cents. These coins were thick (no holes) and I'll bet had great detail under the dirt. Anyway, I only ended getting about $1.50 each for those coins. Bidding was bad on ebay! Wish I could do that one over again.

I don't doubt you badger,

ebay isn't what it's cracked up to be for coin sales,

people will try to steal your coins for nothing, and do IF you don't put a reserve on them.

Regular coin cleaner from a coin shop (or jewelry cleaner = same thing) is what I used.

You have to be careful, and quick when doing copper though (otherwise) you'll ruin the coin/s. That's kind of why this one turned orangish color.

haupin said:
Wow, Lonestar, ;D that's a beauty. ?It sure looks orange-red compared to others I've seen. ?

How did you clean her? ?Is there some kind of mark by the date? ?Do you ever tumble LC's or IH's? ?I'm afraid they'll loose details.

As always....lotsa questions!

I tumble coins sometimes haupin,

it just depends on how badly corroded they are, and what type of coins they are.

If it's something worth more than just a few bucks, I usually don't but, if they are common date/mint IH, wheats, Nickels, clad, etc. I do.

Hey lonewolfe, go back to that house and do a more thorough search. As I sit hear gazing into my crystal ball I predict there is possibly a $5 gold coin waiting for you to find it. LOL. HH.
By the way, NICE coin!

Hey lonewolfe, go back to that house and do a more thorough search. As I sit hear gazing into my crystal ball I predict there is possibly a $5 gold coin waiting for you to find it.

What a coincidence! I had one of those dreams about Lonewolf. (the same dream that ALL the MDing girls are having) I dreamed that he found a Gold coin by the brick walk on the side of the house. ;D

lonewolfe said:
Found in front of a huge mid 1800s Georgian revival looking house in my neighborhood a few hrs ago rgt before dark. It was in between the road/sidewalk at approx. 6 inches deep.

HH all,

Lonewolfe
cool coin i like the gold one too sweet

nice coin... you found a coin shop that actually sells coin cleaner??????? ??? ??? ??? always was a major no no tumbling with a bit of liquid joy and a few pieces of coconut shell is about all I have ever done.

I used to buy and sell coins for a living and remeber a woman with a 55 double strike who cleaned it before bringing it to the show so it would be in n ice shape, under a glass it looked like the surface of the moon. bought it from her for pennies on the dollar after eveyone else laughed at her, I showed her the damage shehad done. I then turned around and traded it to another dealer from jersey, who's customers were shall we say not all that educated. as far as I know he sold it for redbook with a straight face. I also sold him a plate block of c-4 airmails with a gum thin from being stuck to something that I know he sold, I was standing there, as a gum skip. amazing what people will do or buy.

but if you know of a cleaner that will not damage a coin on a magnified scale please let me know it's name, even those metal sheets they sell that you put in water and place your "silver" teasets etc on damage the metal on a magnified level

HH hope you find that gold piece next to the wall or at least some more of the pennies
Vrent

Vrent said:
nice coin... you found a coin shop that actually sells coin cleaner??????? ??? ??? ???? always was a major no no? tumbling with a bit of liquid joy and a few pieces of coconut shell is about all I have ever done.

I used to buy and sell coins for a living and remember a woman with a 55 double strike who cleaned it before bringing it to the show so it would be in n ice shape, under a glass it looked like the surface of the moon.? bought it from her for pennies on the dollar after eveyone else laughed at her, I showed her the damage shehad done. I then turned around and traded it to another dealer from jersey, who's customers were shall we say not all that educated. as far as I know he sold it for redbook with a straight face. I also sold him a plate block of c-4 airmails with a gum thin from being stuck to something that I know he sold, I was standing there, as a gum skip. amazing what people will do or buy.

but if you know of a cleaner that will not damage a coin on a magnified scale please let me know it's name, even those metal sheets they sell that you put in water and place your "silver" teasets etc on damage the metal on? a magnified level

HH? hope you find that gold piece next to the wall or at least some more of the pennies
Vrent

That would be the case "IF" it were a coin "worthy" of NOT cleaning Vrent!

But,

a common large cent in F/VF at best that has been "dug" out of the ground, and shows the signs of being dug!?!?

It's not like it'll ever be worth anything anyway!

If it were a $1000 coin,

sure, you'd be an idiot to clean it but,

a $15 coin dug from the ground with pitting/porosity, corrosion, etc. etc.

they will never be worth anything anyway (that's why I clean them).

I also sell most of my coin finds on ebay, and save the $$ to buy "nice coins" costing 100s of dollars to 1000s each piece, and usually PCGS slabbed (especially old holder coins)!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back