CTX3030, E-TRAC Or XP Deus - which one to get?

Yahav

Apr 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Makro Racer, E-TRAC Or XP Deus - which one to get?

Hello Guys

I'm new to this site, as well to metal detecting, i've been watching videos of detection for quite a while now and i find it quite interesting and exciting, i thought i might give it a try myself. I'm from Israel, couldn't find any israeli website/forum in the topic, i also think that the metal detection community here is quite small if its exists.
I'd like to buy a good detector, from my research i have reduced it to Makro Racer, E-TRAC Or XP Deus, Problem is i have no idea which one to choose. i have no interest in water detectors (water proof would be a good feature but i'm not going to detect inside water.)...
From my research what comes up is that the CTX3030 is the better of those three, however, its quite expensive and i'm not sure how worthy it is, i mean, i'll probably won't use the gps feature..
What would you go with? which one is better? which one have better discrimination, and which one have better depth abilities?
Also, can anyone please explain to me what are the differences between the coils? which one is the best?

EDIT:
So i managed to decide that the CTX3030 is out of the computation, most of those hi-tech features i don't really need, so its way too expensive for me.
So, its the E-TRAC vs XP Deus vs Makro Racer.
Thoughts?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Makro Racer! Just had to throw that in the mix since it seems to be the hottest topic out there right now. If you're new to detecting why drop $1500-2000 to find out it's not all it's cracked up to be?

Last edited:
Makro Racer! Just had to throw that in the mix since it seems to be the hottest topic out there right now.
Thanks, i added Racer to the list instead of the CTX3030, however, i haven't heard about it until now.

If you're new to detecting why drop $1500-2000 to find out it's not all it's cracked up to be?
Well, those machines are one-time purchase, they should last for years..
Cheaper machines will not always provide the results of the more professional ones...if i'm willing to start, i might as well start with a good one that will serve me at the future when i'll be more advanced in this area. so why spend me money on something like the ACE machine and after that spend more money at an advanced machine. i might as well start with a professional one.

Israel, should be very interesting detecting no matter what you choose. Etrac would be great for digging new and ancient coins and relics. I had one for a few years and almost always used a 6" coil, not the best on small gold. Now I have a Deus and think it would perform just as well but might be a bit easier to use and learn for a first detector. Pretty much just turn it on and go. Etrac would require a bit more adjusting and experience to get to the same level of comfort with the machine (in my opinion). Never used or seen the Racer so can't help on that one. Don't know what the used market is like over there but if you buy used you can sell for what you payed around here. Good luck and have fun!

It is like comparing different fruits so to speak. If money wasn't an object, I would opt for the CTX, but all three are great machines, and in different price ranges. Hard to say between the Deus and Etrac. If I had one choice (and didn't know the Etrac) it would be easy to opt for the Etrac. I don't know anything about the Racer to give you an opinion.

I couldn't see myself not having a Deus after owning one, selling it and almost a year later getting another one. It is just a great machine. I am not totally fond of the tones, but almost everything else is great. I have been leaning more toward using mine over the CTX because I can just grab it and sit it in the front seat of my truck and get going. If portability and weight was an issue I would get the Deus.

As you can tell, it is a real toss up between the machines. Also, talk with the dealers and watch out for used ones that dealers sell before buying the MAP price.

Last edited:
I enjoy this topic when it comes up every week....

I think you'd better look up your local laws. I read somewhere that metal detecting is not allowed in Israel, at least not allowed on public land although you may be able to do it on private property.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back