CTX 3030 - Do I Still Have The Right Detector?

Slice38

Tenderfoot
Dec 21, 2016
Waverly, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I bought my CTX 3030 in 2017 with both an 11 inch and a 17 inch coil. It is like new since I was still working at that time and had little chance to use it. I actually love it!

Now I am recently retired and about to have time on my hands to go detecting. I live in East Central Alabama now and I like to detect for coins and artifacts here as well as some beach detecting on the panhandle coast.

My question for you experienced detectorists is; do I still have a more or less "state of the art" detector in the 3030 even 7 years later or should I try to find something more modern considering my objectives. Frankly I hope I'm still good considering what I paid for my 3030. 8-)

Thank you for your words of guidance.

Mike

Last edited:
I bought my CTX 3030 in 2017 with both an 11 inch and a 17 inch coil. It is like new since I was still working at that time and had little chance to use it. I actually love it!

Now I am recently retired and about to have time on my hands to go detecting. I live in East Central Alabama now and I like to detect for coins and artifacts here as well as some beach detecting on the panhandle coast. I see that the CTX 3030 is no longer in production (of course I got it 7 years ago, so I'm not surprised).

My question for you experienced detectorists is; do I still have a more or less "state of the art" detector in the 3030 even 7 years later or should I try to find something more modern considering my objectives. Frankly I hope I'm still good considering what I paid for my 3030. 8-)

Thank you for your words of guidance.

Mike
Mike

I posted something very similar not long ago. My wife and I have both been running CTX 3030s since they came out. This spring I purchased the manticore to see if I was missing anything. I brought it to some hunted out honey holes and picked up some nice finds I missed with the CTX. I think the Manticore does a superior job of separating iron and coins, targets that are super close together, it is simpler (I have a phd on the CTX as I am sure you do as well), and lastly; the biggest one, it’s LIGHTER. I can’t help but appreciate how light it is, the CTX would wear me out after 6-8 hours. At the end of the day the Manticore is still new and I don’t have the seat time on it to crown it king; yet…I still feel the CTX to be the best detector on the market; if you know how to use it. I hope this helps, I watch a channel on YouTube called Finding America, he has great content was a CTX guy now using the manticore.

Goodluck and HH

Thank you so much for your reply. I have a lot of confidence in it myself, and since I detect both the mineralized soil here and the beach, I have to straddle the fence somewhat. My general plan is to go with it for a while longer unless I find that something else is blowing it away.

Thanks again,
Mike

Blowing it away is a relative term of course. The Manticore beats it in just about every aspect, but, in some areas, it's almost too close to call. It's going to be those iffy signals in bad or trashy ground where the Manticore really shines over the CTX. I know it seems that the CTX processor speed is fast, but, it's nowhere near what the Equinox, Manticore, Legend, or Deus have. That can be a game changer in bad and/or trashy ground. Depth on silver in clean ground I also give to the Manticore, but, not by much in stock modes. If you know how to tweak the Manticore, you can get significant extra depth at certain venues over any other machine I've seen.....even PI machines. Small gold and tiny nugget hunting, Manticore is better, especially in Prospecting mode. Nothing wrong with the CTX however. In most areas of hunting, if you don't need the extra depth, or the ground is not hot or trashy, the CTX will work just as well. It's still one of the best coin and jewelry detectors out there. It's mostly the extreme situations where you need the extra speed and ground handling where the Manticore (and Equinox, Deus, and Legend for that matter) shine. Weighing a fraction of the CTX doesn't hurt most of us either.

Where did you see that the CTX is no longer in production? To my knowledge it still is.

I see that the CTX 3030 is no longer in production (of course I got it 7 years ago, so I'm not surprised).
Where did you see that?
It's not listed on their Discontinued Products page.

"State of the art"? No, BUT IMO, you're still good.

The only major drawback might be the weight.

I would keep, use, and enjoy it until you can't or don't. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I have never owned a CTX 3030. But everything I've seen or heard is that it's a good detector. Only negatives are weight and the sheer amount of time it's been out. Do have an Equinox 800 and a Nokta Legend. It's hard to say which is best but user confidence in what you're using is very important. It sounds like you are very confident with the CTX3030.
Although there is something to be said about different. Thought my Equinox had hunted places out until I got the Legend and have pulled many missed items out. It's amazing what can be found by other units. I truly believe there is a benefit to owning multiple detector models from different companies. A different train of thought in the engineers who design them equals a different way the detector acts versus what we have used already in a place.

Where did you see that the CTX is no longer in production? To my knowledge it still is.
That may be my mistake. In looking again at the Minelab website, I do see it still there. Sorry for that piece of misinformation on my part.

Mike

CTX 3030 owner here also, Minelab needs to put out a 2024 firmware update. will benefit from it.

CTX 3030 owner here also, Minelab needs to put out a 2024 firmware update. will benefit from it.
For what issue? Seeing as it's probably close to being discontinued, don't hold your breath.

Blowing it away is a relative term of course. The Manticore beats it in just about every aspect, but, in some areas, it's almost too close to call. It's going to be those iffy signals in bad or trashy ground where the Manticore really shines over the CTX. I know it seems that the CTX processor speed is fast, but, it's nowhere near what the Equinox, Manticore, Legend, or Deus have. That can be a game changer in bad and/or trashy ground. Depth on silver in clean ground I also give to the Manticore, but, not by much in stock modes. If you know how to tweak the Manticore, you can get significant extra depth at certain venues over any other machine I've seen.....even PI machines. Small gold and tiny nugget hunting, Manticore is better, especially in Prospecting mode. Nothing wrong with the CTX however. In most areas of hunting, if you don't need the extra depth, or the ground is not hot or trashy, the CTX will work just as well. It's still one of the best coin and jewelry detectors out there. It's mostly the extreme situations where you need the extra speed and ground handling where the Manticore (and Equinox, Deus, and Legend for that matter) shine. Weighing a fraction of the CTX doesn't hurt most of us either.
Great Post here! The Minelab Manticore has 2 major advantages to me are the speed and faster recovery which really helps in heavy iron and trash. 2. is the sensitivity on small items, especially gold and silver. Which are improved for relics. This machine will hit a woman's gold chain where the CTX 3030 will not.

I almost forgot, weight.... 3.0 pounds compared to 4.8 is a HUGE difference for my old body. Sorry, I guess that is 3 differences... lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back