Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Ancient Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
DSC_0290.jpg

I was digging through a mason jar my dad has that is filled with fired bullets from around the Wilderness battlefield. Most of them are standard Yankee .58 cal. three ringers, CS Gardners, and a few random bullets. I found this one, and for some reason, it looks different from the other three ringers. It is fired, but the rings are spaced far apart, and they are still relatively deep. The nose looks a little more round than the others too. My dad says it's just a fired Yankee bullet, but then I found that the base looks like this.

DSC_0291.jpg

For sure, this can't be just a "normal" three ringer. Who used it?

Maybe a Selma arsenal bullet?

Size or caliber would be a big help with IDlng it...

Upvote 0
OOps! Sorry, it is a .58 cal. bullet. I'll remember to add a quarter for size reference. I'll take another pic.

Upvote 0
Sorry to have to say, it is definitely not a Selma Arsenal minie-bullet. Also, because I took the trouble to search through the hundreds of photos of Confederate minies in the massive Thomas-&-Thomas book on CSA bullets ("Round Ball to Rimfire, Volume 4"), and your minie is not shown in that book, I'll have to say it is a yankee variety. Also, its peculiar base cavity indicates it is a machine-pressed (not mold-cast) bullet, which almost always means yankee-made.

Upvote 0
Sorry to have to say, it is definitely not a Selma Arsenal minie-bullet. Also, because I took the trouble to search through the hundreds of photos of Confederate minies in the massive Thomas-&-Thomas book on CSA bullets ("Round Ball to Rimfire, Volume 4"), and your minie is not shown in that book, I'll have to say it is a yankee variety. Also, its peculiar base cavity indicates it is a machine-pressed (not mold-cast) bullet, which almost always means yankee-made.

I learn something new every time you post CBG. :thumbsup:
Dave

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back