✅ SOLVED crossed bullet id help

labradigger1

Sep 8, 2012
tucker co wv
Detector(s) used
whites dfx, mxt pro, tdi, bullseye II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
here is three pics of 2 crossed bullets i found a couple years ago at a home built in 1789, the item is very heavy like lead, i do not think it was 2 fired bullets due to the concave areas where they cross. i can see no attachment points on it where it would have been a pin. 100_0443.JPG100_0444.JPG100_0445.JPG

No, i am not sure. I do not think they are REAL bullets, my guess is some sort of lapel/ hat pin or something. It was dug @ 10 inches and settings maxed out. Thx

Upvote 0
Those are .22 LR bullets that impacted in a target. One bullet hit and fused with the other that was already in the target.

Upvote 0
I've seen very similar ones many times from civil war sites. But those are 20th-Century .22-caliber bullets (or perhaps .25-caliber), and thus your find is the result of target-shooting. They got fired into a target on a tree or a wooden board. One bullet hit right on top of the other in the wood. (Like Robin Hood splitting the arrow with his second shot.)

Ebay sellers claim these are the result of two bullets hitting each other in mid-air. But that is a false claim, because to "join with" each other in mid-air, they'd have to be fired from opposite directions, and thus would hit each other nosetip-to-nosetip. See the photo attached below. "Joined" fired bullets which aren't nose-to-nose were fired from the same direction, and hit the exact same spot on a tree or "hard dirt" hillside.

Edit: CriticalRecovery and I were typing at the same time.

Attachments

• minies_midair-collision_emike_pic92064.jpg
    minies_midair-collision_emike_pic92064.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 2,302
Upvote 0
I am still not sure, both sides are absoloutley symetrical, it would be almost impossible for the impact to be this perfect.
Not sure if you can see it in the pics but another reason i dont think they are real bullets is just short of the nose of bullets there is a large concave area as if it was made to accept each other. Thx

Upvote 0
C R and CBG have given you the straight dope, although I might change it just a bit. The hollow base might make them air gun pellets, which in fact are bullets, just fired with air rather than powder. The first one was buried in the target back stop, the second on hit it and they fused together.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back