Crazy Beginners Luck

Oct 16, 2024
I didn't realize how much beginners luck I had until after the fact. A month ago, after hiking along a river and thinking about sunken treasures that may have washed up, I purchased a metal detector with one goal, finding old silver coins (or gold). The metal detector arrived at my house and that day I took it out to the woods for a trial run. After just TWO HOURS, I dug this up, on a crappy signal, with no pinpointer. It was an instant dopamine rush reminiscent of my first day trade, hand of poker and illicit substance use, none of which would end well. Here's the funny part, I figured, if I found this coin in 2 hours, I could just go back out and find more, maybe 1 every couple days or so. I could make this a profitable side gig! I've been out about 5 times a week since, putting in 5-8 hour days and dug nothing but garbage until today when I found a Merc dime which put some wind back in my sails. I'm simply not willing to accept the idea that my 2nd hour find will be my best.
IMG_8056.jpg
IMG_8534.jpgIMG_8535.jpg

Upvote 17
Wow !! Beginner's Luck is an understatement. I started detecting in the 1970s and NEVER found one of those. A Merc as your second silver ain't too shabby either. CONGRATS ! Best wishes for more great finds going forward. It appears that you've got the knack. Welcome to the best internet treasure site in the world .

Those newbies have all the luck.🤣

Congratulations on the old silver.
Where there is one there a possibility of more.

It took me several years to find my first Spanish colonial coin. Then years in between them.

Outstanding Achievement
Congratulations

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back