Cow Tags - Three I've Found Over The Years

High Plains Prospectors

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 15, 2023
Olathe, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900, XP Deus II, Garrett AT Pro
Here are the cow tags I have found over the last few years. One on the right was in great shape so I cleaned it up a little more than the others. I love finding these things! Some people think they are ear tags. They are actually neck tags. Sometimes you find them with a steel chain still attached. These suckers ring up like CRAZY on any metal detector. They are cool to find unless you are hunting a civil war site...then they just trick you into thinking you found a belt buckle or box plate. :tongue3:

Attachments

• IMG_0088.jpeg
    IMG_0088.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 39
Upvote 10
Nice ones! Congratulations! Thanks for posting.

nice finds!

I too have found a few of these arrowhead hunting. normally the modern plastic but a few of the metal.

congratulations

Nice going :) I think now they are using plastic ones

Those are cool looking but how do you know they were for Cows ?

Here are the cow tags I have found over the last few years. One on the right was in great shape so I cleaned it up a little more than the others. I love finding these things! Some people think they are ear tags. They are actually neck tags. Sometimes you find them with a steel chain still attached. These suckers ring up like CRAZY on any metal detector. They are cool to find unless you are hunting a civil war site...then they just trick you into thinking you found a belt buckle or box plate. :tongue3:
I used mine for spare key ring !!

Dad found one several years back, before I started detecting, using a borrowed detector. He remembered the number, the cow, and the day she came back to the barn without her tag. He was 6-7 yrs old at the time it was lost and almost 70 when he found the tag.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back