Couple cool old US military buttons found!

bunzy17

Jul 6, 2024

Attachments

• Button 1.jpg
    Button 1.jpg
    213.9 KB · Views: 66
  • Button 2.jpg
    Button 2.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 38
  • Button 3.jpg
    Button 3.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 38
  • Button 4.jpg
    Button 4.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 39
Upvote 19
Found these 2 buttons recently. I know they are military (or militia) and quite old but not sure on exact dates. Any button experts on here that can shine some light on these? First button is 3/4" round and the second button (eagle) is 1/2" round. Thanks for any specific info!
Nice finds. And welcome .

Second one obviously an Eagle Infantry button from the Civil War, but the first one I believe is older, one piece maybe 1800's era, not sure if its military or decorative though..
Does the back of that button say "Imperial Standard" ?

Last edited:
Congrats! Those are nice! That's the stuff I've been looking for and not finding.
According to Albert's the first one is "Rifles, Militia." I think yours is RF 27 in the book. Not sure of date but likely pre civil war.

Found these 2 buttons recently. I know they are military (or militia) and quite old but not sure on exact dates. Any button experts on here that can shine some light on these? First button is 3/4" round and the second button (eagle) is 1/2" round. Thanks for any specific info!
nice finds congrats

First button is a one piece riflemen coat button that is pre-Civil War era. Second button is a two piece eagle Infantry button worn by union soldiers from the Civil War.

FYI, to help with your identification requests, in the future provide the diameter of the button in millimeters. If you donโ€™t have access to one, you can get a digital caliper from a place like Harbor Freight or Amazon for a few dollars. The size of the button will help with determining if the buttons are from a coat, kepi, vest or cuff. Also, provide the backmark information, ie the backmark of the riflemen button says Imperial Standard (I canโ€™t read the backmark of the Eagle I button). Backmark info is extremely helpful for determining the manufacturer which leads to dating them. Hope this helps and wherever you found these buttons, go back and search for more. Congratulations.

Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!

Nice buttons :) Congrats

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back