Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went back to the new school permission to try my luck and it turned into a quazy quarter day. I spent 5 hours swingin the CZ21 and found 79 coins with a face value of $5.02, a SLQ, a silver Washington, an Obama quarter, a wheatie, an assortment of junky jewelry including 2 rings, half of a large brass pin, a decorative brass buckle, tabs, slaw and other assorted junk.

DSCN2893.jpeg

DSCN2896.jpeg

DSCN2897.jpeg

When I dug the SLQ I thought it was the real deal that had been clipped for some reason. As I looked harder and tried to get the gunk off the front I noticed it was light and brittle. It almost looks like it was in a fire and that made the crud stick to the front, but silver would melt in the fire and be less recognizable. The fire would not make it brittle. The only answer is that it is NOT silver. You can see how the surface has flaked off. From what I can find out 1916 and 1924 SLQs have been counterfeited. I can’t see the date because the front is badly crusted, but the 1916 was made in mint condition and the 1924 was done during the depression and was a worn looking counterfeit. Since mine is not in mint condition I think it is the 1924. Definitely a unique find that is surprisingly good and disappointing at the same time.

DSCN2898.jpeg

DSCN2898.jpeg

DSCN2899.jpeg

DSCN2902.jpeg

The silver Washington is a 1941 and was only about 10 feet away from the 1934 wheatie. It has been a while since I found a silver Washington so it was a nice surprise. This is silver number 87 since my year started May 1st. The Obama quarter was on the surface, just under the grass and was probably a recent loss. The quarter was a regular 2009 District of Columbia (featuring Duke Ellington) that was covered in 24k gold and an Obama inaugural sticker was applied to the front and sold as a novelty. You can get a pair of them on Amazon for $9.95 woohoo.

DSCN2894.jpeg

DSCN2895.jpeg

My day was really better than expected. I ended up with 2 firsts, the SLQ and the Obama quarter, a decent amount of gas money, a silver quarter and some other interesting things. Thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things.

Upvote 16
I went back to the new school permission to try my luck and it turned into a quazy quarter day. I spent 5 hours swingin the CZ21 and found 79 coins with a face value of $5.02, a SLQ, a silver Washington, an Obama quarter, a wheatie, an assortment of junky jewelry including 2 rings, half of a large brass pin, a decorative brass buckle, tabs, slaw and other assorted junk.

View attachment 2117377

View attachment 2117378

View attachment 2117379

When I dug the SLQ I thought it was the real deal that had been clipped for some reason. As I looked harder and tried to get the gunk off the front I noticed it was light and brittle. It almost looks like it was in a fire and that made the crud stick to the front, but silver would melt in the fire and be less recognizable. The fire would not make it brittle. The only answer is that it is NOT silver. You can see how the surface has flaked off. From what I can find out 1916 and 1924 SLQs have been counterfeited. I can’t see the date because the front is badly crusted, but the 1916 was made in mint condition and the 1924 was done during the depression and was a worn looking counterfeit. Since mine is not in mint condition I think it is the 1924. Definitely a unique find that is surprisingly good and disappointing at the same time.

View attachment 2117376

View attachment 2117383

View attachment 2117382

View attachment 2117384

The silver Washington is a 1941 and was only about 10 feet away from the 1934 wheatie. It has been a while since I found a silver Washington so it was a nice surprise. This is silver number 87 since my year started May 1st. The Obama quarter was on the surface, just under the grass and was probably a recent loss. The quarter was a regular 2009 District of Columbia (featuring Duke Ellington) that was covered in 24k gold and an Obama inaugural sticker was applied to the front and sold as a novelty. You can get a pair of them on Amazon for $9.95 woohoo.

View attachment 2117380

View attachment 2117381

My day was really better than expected. I ended up with 2 firsts, the SLQ and the Obama quarter, a decent amount of gas money, a silver quarter and some other interesting things. Thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things.
Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Overall an outstanding hunt, with many excellent finds- Congrats!

Thanks for the replies and likes. You are a great bunch of folks. Stay safe, good luck and keep swingin.

That SLQ is awesome! I love finding crazy stuff like that. If only it could talk!!! I wonder if anyone in your area was ever caught counterfitting quarters?!? What fun! Congratulations!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back