🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Counter stamped large cent.

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an 1848 Braided Hair Large cent that is counter stamped on the obverse with four names, A. Cooper, W. McAllister, M.B. Black, and another W. McAllister. I have researched to no end and found no information on why this was counter stamped with these names. This was found in the Bedford, Pa area. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_0001.JPG
    IMG_0001.JPG
    118.6 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_0002.JPG
    IMG_0002.JPG
    98.9 KB · Views: 65
I have an 1848 Braided Hair Large cent that is counter stamped on the obverse with four names, A. Cooper, W. McAllister, M.B. Black, and another W. McAllister. I have researched to no end and found no information on why this was counter stamped with these names. This was found in the Bedford, Pa area. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Great counter stamped LC.
One of the best ones ever posted.

I found out this one was a blacksmith that had a business 125 miles away.

20191128_182958.jpg

Upvote 5
Its a basic way of advertising. Unusual to get lots of different names, first I've seen. They would have been merchants or other types of Business Owners.

Upvote 3
Its a basic way of advertising. Unusual to get lots of different names, first I've seen. They would have been merchants or other types of Business Owners.
It certainly is a different one.
Different Initials might be more common.
Almost wonder if it was a partnership of sorts, or competing merchants.

Upvote 1
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back