Could this be a vintage US Navy Button???

Volare

Jun 25, 2017
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have recently dug up a vintage US button. After some research I am imagining it to be a US Navy Officer's button, made between about 1852-1941. I might be wrong and am just interested in learning in what time period it was used. Any help would be beyond appreciated!!!! Thanks!

IMG_6094.JPGIMG_6095.JPGIMG_6093.JPG

tn_md.gif
I noticed this was your very first post Volare - so, Welcome Aboard! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forums: Select Your Area.... and selecting location information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country).

Upvote 0
Sincerely sorry to have to tell you, your button has what button-collectors call a "self-shank" back (the button's back itself forms the tunnel for thread to attach the button to cloth). The self-shank back means your button is a civilian "Fashion" imitation of the actual 1852-1941 US Navy button. Usage on civilian clothing is permitted because the imitation's emblem hasn't been in use by the Navy since 1941.

Additional evidence toward the Civilian Imitation identification is that your button lacks the very crisp, sharp detail seen on actual US Navy buttons... clearly visible in this photo of one, below. For example, notice that every feather in the eagle's wings is sharply detailed.

Update:
I found a photo showing your button's EXACT front, at the Waterbury Button Company's website, in the (civilian) "Fashion" category. Notice the eagle's round-ish very "puffy" chest and round-ish very "puffy" legs.

Attachments

• button_Navy_US_horizontal-anchor_ScovillMfgCo_photobyRelicman_B5983.jpg
    button_Navy_US_horizontal-anchor_ScovillMfgCo_photobyRelicman_B5983.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 68
  • button_Navy_civilian-imitation_Fashion-category-at-Waterburybutton-dotcom_button-25216.jpg
    button_Navy_civilian-imitation_Fashion-category-at-Waterburybutton-dotcom_button-25216.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hello, thanks for letting me know! Would you happen to know about which time period it was made?

Upvote 0
The version of self-shank civilian imitation Navy button you found has been manufactured continuously from approximately the 1950s through today. If I had to guess about yours, I'd say 1960s/70s, because that's when imitation navy "PEA" coats were extremely popular, and had these imitation navy buttons on them.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back