Could this be a flint scraper?

4Nines

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2010
TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this on my property the other day. It fits in the hand perfectly and even has recesses for fingers to rest on the backside. It doesn't have detailed edge work like some arrowheads that I have found, but it does seem like a crude tool or scraper. Thoughts?

IMG_0936.jpeg

IMG_0937.jpeg

IMG_0938.jpeg

Upvote 13
Looks like a biface preform. Probably a blade. Older the Better gives great advice. Don’t pay attention to how it fits the hand, thumb recesses, ergo issues, etc: Nearly any of those things would be coincidental. Tools of the ancients were fairly simple, and effective designs

Yes sir, nice preform knife. Just so you know, Native Americans did not knap or make hand or finger grips on their tools.

Thanks for the info, guys! I knew it was unique the moment I saw it. Now that you mention it, you're right about the finger grips. I have never seen any stone tools in the Southwest with a finger grip or hand features.

That’s a reject preform. We call those “spoiled knives” around here, due to the ridge that I circled. It would be impossible to remove that ridge by knapping. Since there was no way to continue making it thin, it was tossed. If you ever visit a flint quarry used by Indians you can find dozens like that. It could have still been useful as a tool, but could never be thinned enough for a decent knife or spear head. I’ve been a flintknapper since 1985.
IMG_5878.jpeg

That’s a reject preform. We call those “spoiled knives” around here, due to the ridge that I circled. It would be impossible to remove that ridge by knapping. Since there was no way to continue making it thin, it was tossed. If you ever visit a flint quarry used by Indians you can find dozens like that. It could have still been useful as a tool, but could never be thinned enough for a decent knife or spear head. I’ve been a flintknapper since 1985.View attachment 2157860
That's good to know! I think I might have a flint quarry on my property because I have acres of flint stone. I have found several other pieces similar to the one I posted.

That's good to know! I think I might have a flint quarry on my property because I have acres of flint stone. I have found several other pieces similar to the one I posted.
The one shown has a defect, as ToddsPoint explained; but I would be thrilled to find one similar to it. If you have acres of flint, and many similar pieces…
Keep looking! 😊 and post your finds.🍀

The one shown has a defect, as ToddsPoint explained; but I would be thrilled to find one similar to it. If you have acres of flint, and many similar pieces…
Keep looking! 😊 and post your finds.🍀
I'm over the moon about it and will post anything else I find! I will get some pictures of the fossilized coral chunks that are just laying around here as well. I need to get a lapidary saw to slice into some pieces to reveal the beautiful colored layers of flint inside.

The other interesting thing I found here was a musket ball. I was metal detecting near where I discovered that preform and found it on the side of my hill. I wish there were a way to date it. Fredericksburg was founded back in 1846, so I figure it could be from when the first German settlers arrived here.

IMG_0959.jpeg

Absolutely beautiful find. If it could only talk, makes you wonder who was the last person to touch it.

You guys are good luck! I went down this evening to take a picture to give you an idea of all the flint lying around, and I found a nice point! I might have even found another preform piece.

IMG_0966.jpeg

IMG_0971.jpeg

You definitely have flint. A lot of those pieces shown have been tested by Indians. A flake or two removed to test the quality. They of course carried away the good pieces and left the poor ones. You’ll likely find a lot of preforms but few finished points. It’s the nature of a quarry area.

Is this the backside of the one you picked up?
View attachment 2157951
No, that's a big chunk that's still out there. I will grab it today and look at it closer. It seems to have some large strike marks on the top, but I think it's round and unfinished on the back side.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back