Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 / TESORO SAND SHARK / CZ 21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HEY GUYS AND GALS

Been a few days since posting......took a few days off and tried a couple spots that produced the big "0". Last years spots ...thought maybe the frost might have moved stuff around and the tall grass is laying flat...no dice.

But got back on the trail again with these finds...nothing special but indicators that am still in the correct location to find something special. The bomb fragments are a good sign of a battle. Was a pile of rocks close to them half way to low water...these rocks are not the typical shore rocks...they have been quarried at some point. Not rounded edges....they would fit closely together perhaps for ballast in the old ships.

The pewter button is the first one I have found that is hollow....anyone have any info on it ??

2014-04-06 17.51.43.jpg2014-04-06 17.52.54.jpg2014-04-06 17.53.14.jpg2014-04-06 17.53.25.jpg2014-04-08 10.00.22.jpg2014-04-08 10.00.39.jpg

Upvote 6
18th C 'blow hole' type button, not seen them in pewter before, so slightly different.

18th C 'blow hole' type button, not seen them in pewter before, so slightly different.

TY for CRUSADER for the ID.

What is he purpose of the "blow holes" ?

No idea, but a guess, is that this is due to the casting technique which would allow for a cheaper 'hollow' button.

Hollow, and two holes most probably a blow hole button, but the purpose was to let hot gasses to escape when soldering the two halves together. Probably not pewter.

I found three all in great shape.

find12-20e.JPG

find12-20d.JPG

Last edited:
Ty for the pics Rick.

That makes sense for the holes.

Was just a guess that it is pewter...looks like it . But I seem to say everyything is made of pewter lol...

Was in saltwater... so assumed it was pewter as its not rusted etc.

It "could" be pewter afterall. But CRUSADER never found one in over 20,000, is unlikely ?
I once found a web page showing all types of buttons, but I can't seem to locate it, been looking for awhile now. Still looking.

You've acquired quite a pile of round balls bud. Hopefully we didn't jinx eachother with this bet :-)
At least you know you're in old spots and another old button is always nice to see. I'm gonna do some scouting today. Raining like hell right now. Best of luck buddy

I agree that you're in a pretty good spot there. That's a lot of ammo for one hunt. :thumbsup:

I'm not convinced it's pewter with those smooth spots remaining. Seems like something that would be a lot more likely on brass or copper. But on the other hand it does seem familiar, so I'll just have to wait to come across that style of button again to see. It is a little different than the usual blow hole ones.

Nice finds! "The" find is out there waiting for you! Maybe next trip.

It "could" be pewter afterall. But CRUSADER never found one in over 20,000, is unlikely ?
I once found a web page showing all types of buttons, but I can't seem to locate it, been looking for awhile now. Still looking.

Agree....according to them odds....it is not pewter...let me know what you find.

You've acquired quite a pile of round balls bud. Hopefully we didn't jinx eachother with this bet :-)
At least you know you're in old spots and another old button is always nice to see. I'm gonna do some scouting today. Raining like hell right now. Best of luck buddy

Haha...too early to say we are gonna get jinxed !!!!

Been quite awhile since I,ve had a good button.... hopefully by the weekend i,ll have one.... gonna be hitting a few fields close by ..provided I get permission.

The rain been coming down good here....but supposed to be nice tomo.

GOT 45 LBS OF ROUND BALLS NOW...LOL.....WANT SOME ???

2014-03-31 10.12.13.jpg2014-03-31 10.13.11.jpg

Last edited:
I agree that you're in a pretty good spot there. That's a lot of ammo for one hunt. :thumbsup:

Last year I used to get excited at the site of a musket ball...now its just sighhhhh.

But they are a good indicator of age for a site.

QUOTE=Iron Patch;3944254]I'm not convinced it's pewter with those smooth spots remaining. Seems like something that would be a lot more likely on brass or copper. But on the other hand it does seem familiar, so I'll just have to wait to come across that style of button again to see. It is a little different than the usual blow hole ones.[/QUOTE]

Agreed also.... the smooth spots make me wonder about its material.

The back of the button looks like corroded pewter .

2014-03-08 15.04.42.jpg[

This pewter also has the same smooth spots on it.

Last edited:
Holy cow...those are some big frags...the big one must be 40 pounds I'd bet!

Those frags are nice but heavy to carry back to the car...when does your fishing season start?

remember the ones I found romeo? about that size too but a pain to carry in the pack sack while your sinking in the mud!

No doubt 100 pound mortar or bigger. I know nothing about them, but if complete it would be massive. Too heavy to ever carry out.

Last edited:
Actually, think of 100lb dumbbell, a ball that big would have to weigh a whole lot more than that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back