Cornfield arrowhead hunting

Vinland

Tenderfoot
Oct 28, 2023
I'm kind of new to searching fields. I've pretty much just searched creeks and rivers forever. I'm having a little luck in cut cornfields after it rains. I'm coming across certain areas in a couple harvested cornfields and soybean fields. All of these fields run up hill from a creek. I'm finding debitage pretty heavy in certain areas on all the fields. Other areas absolutely none. Should I concentrate on the areas where I'm finding chert and flint or the whole fields.

Upvote 2
Well if you are a water hunter fields should be easy. When you are walking the creek below the field there should be sections where you have found more artifacts in the creek more than other sections usually right after a bend. What I would do is focus above those sections but in the fields and see if you can locate the campsites. Iā€™ve found points along with debitage in fields but mostly preforms. From what Iā€™ve seen the debitage piles is discarded material that is placed away from the campsite like in a trash pit. Go above the piles I would think the trash pits would be below the campsite so they wouldnā€™t step on the raw chips. If you add pictures of the field you are looking on make sure you leave any landmarks out so nobody will know where you are looking.
Your getting warmeršŸ˜‰ I hope! It can take a lot of legwork.
Good luck with the search.

vfm
It was pretty cold. I have found out that walking fields is a lot easier than walking creeks or kayaking a river to another to walk sandbars. Thanks

Well if you are a water hunter fields should be easy. When you are walking the creek below the field there should be sections where you have found more artifacts in the creek more than other sections usually right after a bend. What I would do is focus above those sections but in the fields and see if you can locate the campsites. Iā€™ve found points along with debitage in fields but mostly preforms. From what Iā€™ve seen the debitage piles is discarded material that is placed away from the campsite like in a trash pit. Go above the piles I would think the trash pits would be below the campsite so they wouldnā€™t step on the raw chips. If you add pictures of the field you are looking on make sure you leave any landmarks out so nobody will know where you are looking.
I'll be back there this afternoon and will take some pictures. The only problem I'm looking at is that there's untilled ground starting halfway up the hill to the top. I'm hoping that everything isn't sitting above my cornfields. I've only walked a small fraction of these fields so far. Dumb things like work and responsibilities are getting in the way.

I'll be back there this afternoon and will take some pictures. The only problem I'm looking at is that there's untilled ground starting halfway up the hill to the top. I'm hoping that everything isn't sitting above my cornfields. I've only walked a small fraction of these fields so far. Dumb things like work and responsibilities are getting in the way.
No doubt. Work and life things always trumps fun.

Iā€™m a bit late but I gotta say I find nearly all my artifacts in places with lots of debitage, thatā€™s one big indicator as to where to look. But Iā€™d agree it seems logical to knap away from living spaces, Iā€™ve dabbled with glass in a back room when it was cold and no matter how many sheets or tarps and how much i vacuumed and swept there always seemed to be a little sliver that ended up in my foot, that didnā€™t last long. Still I wonder how flint on dirt would change the equation gotta be a little easier on the feet.
On a similar note Iā€™ve wondered about complete points found in middens, did they get lost in the animals they were processing? Swept up with the household garbage?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back