🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Copper Match stick case maybe? Snuff container?

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was detecting a riverbank in Ft. Pierce Florida yesterday and had a find that has me pleased, but perplexed.
There is a known Second Seminole War fort nearby (ca 1838-1842) but also, all kinds of modern "stuff".

My thoughts went from "pinched" 1/2" copper pipe with a cap on one end, to a long thimble, to a small lipstick container when I first pulled it up.

It is about 5/8" (15mm) in diameter on the capped end and about 2" (50 mm) long. Looking it over, I noticed the decorative end that was crushed, was a cap of sorts, and fit over a "tube". The decorative end was flared and "fluted" to apparently make it easier to grasp.

Let me know your thoughts and thanks in advance for any insight anyone can provide.
DecorativeCopperTube-4CrushedEnd-NOholes2.JPG

Here's a group shot of finds, NA shard with hole, blue-white pottery and the mystery piece. I also found the end of a 20" barrel with the tap hole in it!!

Group-2VNice.JPGBarrelEndWHole_ca1842Maybe2.JPG

DecorativeCopperTube-5-Side.JPGDecorativeCopperTube-2CappedEnd.JPGDecorativeCopperTube-4CrushedEnd-holes4OpenVNice.JPG

Thanks for taking a peek.

Interesting and thanks for the idea.
I really like the thought but I'm not sure why there would be two separate pieces for a cane ferrule (tip).
The two pieces aren't "locked" together that I can see.

Here's a matchstick holder my mother left me when she passed, that has been in the family for probably more than 125 years. It even has three match sticks and one with the combustible material on the end. This one is longer than the copper one I found.
(Plus, being copper it doesn't seem like it would hold up to the wear and tear of walking.)

Byard-Reuter-MatchStickCase-Open-Matches2.JPG

Byard-Reuter-MatchStickCase-HingeLeftInitials-500.jpgByard-Reuter-MatchStickCase-Matches2.JPG

Upvote 0
I think it may be a powdered tobacco (snuff) travel container. Kept in the vest pocket (or purse) of the user.
Larger containers were used in the home; like the difference between a whisky bottle and a pocket flask.

Upvote 1
Thanks for all the ideas and suggestions.

Snuff container and Needle case seems like possibilities also. I may try to see if there is any residue or material inside other than sand but I'm not very hopeful.

Even though it resembles a lipstick tube somewhat, there would be nothing to advance any product. It seems like anything like "rouge" that might have been used to add color to lips before modern lipstick would have been in a wider compact-like container.

Anyways, you all have my gratitude for coming up with suggestions. I'll keep pondering this one.

Attachments

• DecorativeCopperTube-3CrushedEnd.JPG
    DecorativeCopperTube-3CrushedEnd.JPG
    84.1 KB · Views: 6
Upvote 0
These two pieces might go together. Same style of horizontal bands, with diagonal design in between. Appears to be made with the same type material.
IMG_3069.jpeg

IMG_3068.jpeg

Go back and look for more pieces. Appears to be copper, likely hand made.

Last edited:
Upvote 1
These two pieces might go together. Same style of horizontal bands, with diagonal design in between. Appears to be made with the same type material.
View attachment 2155127

View attachment 2155128

Go back and look for more pieces. Appears to be copper, likely hand made.

. Thanks for the taking a look
All images are of the same item. (There is only 1 item.)
I was surprised that the images did look like two profiles when taking them.
I tried to get images from opposing angles/sides.

And somebody mentioned "Snuff", but all the example for snuff I found online were snuff boxes that you could open and take a "pinch". I'm not sure if a tube like this would have worked for getting to the snuff.

Upvote 0
Tesorodeoro- I might have misunderstood your previous comment about two pieces. This is one "unit", made with three pieces.

Here's a little update after looking closely through the hole on the end with a loupe.
The piece is made of three parts and there seems to be some type of applicator in the lower part away from the swirls.

Here's some images and a sketch to show what I'm seeing in hand. Thanks again for any thoughts and suggestions.

BTW- The end, of what I'm calling the "applicator", seems to be made to accommodate bristles (but maybe it clamped down on a "spoon" for snuff?)
This type of manufacture doesn't seem to be made for liquids (perfume or nail polish) but maybe it held rouge or something similar?
I don't have a clue about cosmetics in second half the 1800's or early 1900's.
DecorativeCopperTube-6-InteriorApplicator-1.JPGDecorativeCopperTube-6-InteriorApplicator-3.JPGDecorativeCopperTube-6-InteriorApplicator-5-(Slope)ToSide8VNice.JPGDecorativeCopperTube-7-OverlapAreaOfThreePieces-3SwirlBase3.JPGDecorativeCopperTube-8SketchOfThreePieces-1(400pix).jpg

Upvote 0
Lip gloss....
What are the crystal looking items that are in it?
Those are grains of sand.
Thanks for the reply. I'm leaning in the direction of lip gloss as well. And because of the area and other artifacts found over the years, puts it in the mid to late 1800's (in my mind).
ApplicatorModel-Lipsticks-.jpgLipstickContainers2-8dc890f788198b76e9a2918e3ee67473.jpg

With all my internet searches relating to lipstick applicators this story came up about a 4000 year old lipstick tube.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/archaeologists-uncover-ancient-tube-of-lipstick-from-4-000-years-ago/ar-BB1jkj1a?ocid=msedgntp&pc=U531&cvid=fd8c47c6f1ac43e8bef5d608b0485bb7&ei=15

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back