Copper Buffalo Nickel???

JimmeyC

Oct 15, 2012
N. Tonawanda, Amherst, NY
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug, Garrett Ultra GTA 1000, Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, I'm shaking right now!!! So I was cleaning up a few Buffalo Nickles I found the other day and had one that was unusually roached... Can not read the date which is not uncommon but it is REALLY pitted. I took a piece of OOOO steal wool to it (thinking it is roached, what harm can it do) and it is copper! I did some quick research and in 1920 there were a few "test strikes" that slipped into circulation but were not reported. Also the option of a nickel struck on a penny blank... Both VERY RARE! They give weights to tell them apart but in this condition it would not be accurate. AHHHHHH :censored: !!! Is it worth anything???? Either way... WOW!!!

I put a second nickel in for color comparison, Colors are sometimes difficult on the web.

What do you think??? Jim

20130816_102725 copy.jpg20130816_102807 copy.jpg

Upvote 2
Wow you're right that nickle is in pretty rough shape..

Very cool!...They appear to be the same size...And i have a few that are just copper color...no dates on them thou.

I think I have a nickel struck on a penny blank

That's really cool if it is copper. I have a couple nickels that look to be copper, stained from the soil I dug them from.

Nickels are made of 75% copper, 25% nickel. As they age in the soil they look more and more like copper cents. If you have ever tried electrolysis on a nickel they turn pink.
I don't see anything unusual in your photo.

Nickels are made of 75% copper, 25% nickel. As they age in the soil they look more and more like copper cents. If you have ever tried electrolysis on a nickel they turn pink.
I don't see anything unusual in your photo.
Thank You Larry...

I agree with Larry. nothing special, and just a roached nickel. I don't buy the theory that it's a penny planchet either because it would be incredibly thin after enough pressure to create type of image relief of the buffalo nickel

What is the best method to clean a buffalo nickel? Have to that are worse that the OPs but look like rusty steal no detail left, been soaking in hot peroxide and picking with a tooth pick.. most dirt is off but still looks like rust .. guess it is just the copper?

In this case, I'd overlook the condition - great find!! :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back