Confirmed: Antonio de Ergueta

erguetagirl

Jan 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was thrilled to speak with one of my oldest living great uncles, who confirmed for me that we are, in fact of the Ergueta bloodline that is related to the Spanish assayer, Antonio de Ergueta.

My great uncle saved me a trip, as he says his aunt researched the Ergueta line by going to Spain and looking at the archived records, after knowing that she was the descendent of Antonio Ergueta, who was rumored to be a Basque gentleman, sent to Potosi by the King of Spain to investigate fraud at the mines. That great aunt would have done this up to 100 years ago, as my great uncle is now 91 years old.

I am still in search of records I can pass along to my kin and lost all hope of obtaining photographs of Antonio de Ergueta when I realized photography came along 200 years later (duh!).

I am told there is a piece of artwork that was said to be painted by an Ergueta at the Potosi mint, but i cannot seem to find it. Any links of it would be appreciated.

Now, I suppose I must get my hands on a cob (; Truly fascinating! And to think, all my life I *hated* my last name because no one could pronounce it, and it was so uncommon.

Thank you for sharing, ErguetaGirl. You'll find plenty of specimens under his assayer tenure due to his long service. He is one of my favorite assayers to collect due to the high quality of craftsmanship and the interesting history surrounding his tenure. You might want to share your story with the community at ColonialCobs.com. You'll have to ask for membership to join. Just tell Stan that I recommended you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back