Colonial tool?

Hunthicks

Oct 22, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was found along with a couple early 1700s coins. The way it fits in my hand it feels perfectly balanced, so I was thinking some sort of leatherworking or maybe carving tool?
100_1342.jpg

100_1343.jpg

100_1333-1.jpg

100_1334-1.jpg

Interesting . . .what is it made out of? Breezie

Upvote 0
It's solid copper as far as I can tell. :)

Upvote 0
Works for me! I found bits of thin copper around, so makes sense. Hoping a return trip will bring out some more goodies!

Upvote 0
IronSpike said:
Nice find Hunthicks :icon_thumright: I think you're right on the carving/engraving tool. Maybe a craver:

http://www.search.exploringthepotte...irection=1&pointer=7487&text=0&resource=16356

Not so fast!

A graver is a very hard steel tool designed to take a handle.

The what's it is not designed to take a handle, and doesn't look like tool steel.

Tools are normally designed to be harder than the material they work. If it is copper... :sign13:

The what's it may be for sgraffito work on pottery, or might just be one of those one of a kind hand made tools that we will never know. But it's not a graver for engraving work. I have used those. :wink:

Upvote 0
Lucas said:
IronSpike said:
Nice find Hunthicks :icon_thumright: I think you're right on the carving/engraving tool. Maybe a craver:

http://www.search.exploringthepotte...irection=1&pointer=7487&text=0&resource=16356

Not so fast!

A graver is a very hard steel tool designed to take a handle.

The what's it is not designed to take a handle, and doesn't look like tool steel.

Tools are normally designed to be harder than the material they work. If it is copper... :sign13:

The what's it may be for sgraffito work on pottery, or might just be one of those one of a kind hand made tools that we will never know. But it's not a graver for engraving work. I have used those. :wink:

I don't think this tool had a handle. Are all gravers made of steel?

Could be a carving/engraving tool for pottery, but wouldn't wood work for that. Maybe tool for softer material than copper :dontknow:

Upvote 0
I have heard of copper tools being used to knap flint...like to make arrowheads, or sharpen gun flints. Maybe? Niffler

Upvote 0
Pottery would make sense - this tool was almost surely handmade, and given the area had lots of trading between the natives and early settlers a pottery tool would make sense. Either way, it's a pretty cool find for me; it's one of those personal type finds. The flat/beveled end would seem to work for scraping or making a mark in something soft, as the other end being pointed would keep you from tapping it.
Thanks for all the ideas!!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back