Colonial Powder Flask Flow Regulator Button!!!!!!!

FoundInNC

Mar 20, 2012
Mebane, North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This evening I hunted a site that has given me an assortment of Colonial and Pre Civil War relics in the past, but it is starting to dry up. The ground is starting to dry up too, making digging hard with an old worn lesche, especially with this hot spell here in NC. I found one item that I considered to be "old" tonight. I threw it up on the ID section, and put my idea of what I thought it was on the description, and low and behold, I identified it myself haha! Check it out, pretty unique find! Beats digging a flat button, but I still hope to find some colonial silver there. Thanks for looking!

My ID post:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/w...-item-dug-alongside-flat-buttons-no-clue.html

Old T-net post by member Monkey Boy (did he bury this on my site lol)

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/146333-colonial-button-powder-flask-id-ed.html

Thanks for looking friends!

Attachments

• button1.jpg
    button1.jpg
    851.5 KB · Views: 140
  • button2.jpg
    button2.jpg
    829.6 KB · Views: 121
  • button3.jpg
    button3.jpg
    785.4 KB · Views: 123
Upvote 1
Not sure Those necesaarily date to Colonal times?.........I also beleive they were used more on shot flasks....shotgun shot

Great find though!!!

Last edited:
Kuger is correct.

These lever actuators are in fact 19th Century, and from shot flasks. Machine made rolled stamped brass powder flasks, the brass tops and pour spouts, as well as the brass parts for the shot flasks, primarily came into widespread use with mass production techniques following the Industrial Revolution. Quite often, these shot flasks, for carrying the lead shot, were made of heavy leather with embossed designs. The few brass parts such as these lever actuators and spouts, are often all that remain to be found by metal detectors.

Colonial Relic Hunting has been my forte for a number of years, having specialized in excavating many Revolutionary War sites. During the 18th Century most items were individually handmade, and few are consistently uniform as we see with machine made items of subsequent centuries.

CC Hunter

Attachments

• Shot Flask.jpg
    Shot Flask.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
Thanks CC....I have that same one in my collection as well :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back