Colonial forum anyone?

The object of TreasureNet is the sharing of information, help and finds among members, members interested in Colonial finds will post under a colonial forum if given the opportunity to do so. It will not matter if it gets 100 posts a day or 5 posts a day.

Thank you thank you thank you!!!! The success of a forum should not be solely based on how many people post on it. I for one love the fact that these threads will be available longer for all to see. Lots of us get super busy with work and life and just can't be on Tnet daily. I always hate that I've likely missed some great early finds that I would have loved to see. I know for a fact others feel the same way because I communicate with these guys often.
I respect every opinion on here but I want to stress that the quality is what's most important. I come here to learn as much as anything else. To have a colonial forum where those finds can easily be seen by all should go a long way towards allowing the colonial experts to share their knowledge and also show some of the amazing things they have found and will find

Thank you thank you thank you!!!! The success of a forum should not be solely based on how many people post on it. I for one love the fact that these threads will be available longer for all to see. Lots of us get super busy with work and life and just can't be on Tnet daily. I always hate that I've likely missed some great early finds that I would have loved to see. I know for a fact others feel the same way because I communicate with these guys often.
I respect every opinion on here but I want to stress that the quality is what's most important. I come here to learn as much as anything else. To have a colonial forum where those finds can easily be seen by all should go a long way towards allowing the colonial experts to share their knowledge and also show some of the amazing things they have found and will find

Here here! Well put Abe, and TH! I'm 100% onboard with a colonial forum and would be ecstatic to see it go up. While I usually have more time than say Abe to cruise Today's Finds board, I too miss plenty of buried colonial posts. Sometimes, some of my best finds any day is to "dig up" buried posts among pages of rings, clad, and modern silver. Now absolutely nothing is wrong with those finds and, while I share a kinship with all detectorists, I would like a place where it's easier to find the "old stuff".

This subsection would also not detract from today's finds IMHO. I'll still go to Today's Finds to check out the posts that don't fit the criteria of this sub-forum. I'll also visit there to see friend's finds, post my own (awesome:)) finds that can't go on a colonial sub-forum, and check out some cool Civ.

I say let's move forward with this forum, and I trust the mods to figure what's best to name this forum, and how to define it. No matter where it lands it'll be a big plus for me.

Last edited:
I agree with what Abe said earlier - let's just call it something like "Colonial Artifacts and Discussion Forum" and don't worry about all the complications with definitions and dates as it should be quite self-explanatory. Once the word gets out and those who are interested and dedicated to colonial artifacts start posting, I believe things will take care of themselves. And if some folks come in and start posting inappropriate items the moderator can censor like is already done on Today's Finds. That's a simple and workable solution and one worthy to be given a chance for at least a trial period. Let's give it a try!

I agree with Bill and Steve. Let's get this baby done and not get bogged down with all of the exact dates and concerns over number of posts. As I said previously I'd love to see past finds posted with any questions about them. As we all gain knowledge it may allow us to shed light on old finds that are relatively unknown. I love the enthusiasm

So all joking aside, I think that sub-categories can start to muddle things up. And when someone has a specific niche (colonial age range, in this case), they can solve the need-of-classifying by just posting in their title "colonial such & such " (question, or find, or whatever).

Not sure why you would think that because sub categories all run into a main forum and is no different than what you see now. It's simply giving the user the ability to break it down and see what interests them the most. There's no real post in debating it, but suggesting it would create some type of confusion is just not right.... because if you clicked the main heading you would see things in exactly the same way sub categories or not.

I just wonder if a colonial forum would fair any better than the Revolutionary War forum. That forum is totally dead and hasn't even had a post there in 8 days!

The vast majority of people in the U.S. aren't finding colonial relics or coins, so a forum devoted to that era probably wouldn't do much better than the Revolutionary War forum is currently doing right now. Just my opinion on the idea...

Well there's a big difference in the two. Colonial era relics get posted every day on this website and Revolutionary war do not, and that's because what's thought of being Rev War is marked military items and we do see them, but not near as much. All Rev War items would be considered as Colonial era by the way most tend to think on here, but only a very small % of Colonial would be considered Rev War. Do I think a Colonial forum would be busy... probably not... but would it be interesting and still worth it, most definitely.

Last edited:
Exactly. It just ends up creating more forums, that no one reads . Because logically, a person only-has-time to read so-many forums in a single day. So notice sub-forums like the state-specific don't get much traffic. As noble as their intent originally was, yet when someone here in CA has a cool item to show off, or even something specific to just CA, they will tend to go to the main -pages, where they know more readers will read. And if-need-be, just put the specifier in the title.

Eg.: "Question for anyone who's hunted in Bakersfield CA please"....

I doubt anyone reads all the forums. So I don't really get your point why one more covering a specific interest is going to be the straw that will break the camels back. Maybe we can put North American Colonial section in the place of the California state section. Works for me.

I agree with what Abe said earlier - let's just call it something like "Colonial Artifacts and Discussion Forum" and don't worry about all the complications with definitions and dates as it should be quite self-explanatory. Once the word gets out and those who are interested and dedicated to colonial artifacts start posting, I believe things will take care of themselves. And if some folks come in and start posting inappropriate items the moderator can censor like is already done on Today's Finds. That's a simple and workable solution and one worthy to be given a chance for at least a trial period. Let's give it a try!

I thought I already said that. :)

"So my suggestion is as I said call it North American Colonial and let people post finds based on what Colonial means to them."

I agree with Bill and Steve. Let's get this baby done and not get bogged down with all of the exact dates and concerns over number of posts. As I said previously I'd love to see past finds posted with any questions about them. As we all gain knowledge it may allow us to shed light on old finds that are relatively unknown. I love the enthusiasm

You'll get a few lessons come mid. Oct.. :headbang:

I'm all in for this forum. I've read a lot of debate on what to call it, what dates apply, what geographic areas, etc. It's very clear to me that the new forum being proposed would have a passionate following of hardcore T-Net members. Looking forward to seeing the roll out!

Just started here on treasurenet but you have my attention.That's the time frame I like to be in.I just recently pulled up a clay pipe from the bottom of a lake in Maine the town was settled in 1792.I have found many clay smoking pipes but this one takes the cake it looks like a Sherlock Holmes pipe . It was down in the gravel at least 25 inches. You have a great idea about being in this era.I will start posting artifacts and coins just as soon as I figure this site out.Note most of my metaldetecting is underwater I run the excalibur 11 great machine never let's me down.

Just started here on treasurenet but you have my attention.That's the time frame I like to be in.I just recently pulled up a clay pipe from the bottom of a lake in Maine the town was settled in 1792.I have found many clay smoking pipes but this one takes the cake it looks like a Sherlock Holmes pipe . It was down in the gravel at least 25 inches. You have a great idea about being in this era.I will start posting artifacts and coins just as soon as I figure this site out.Note most of my metaldetecting is underwater I run the excalibur 11 great machine never let's me down.

Haha, sounds like you find the goods man! I'm looking forward to your post. Perhaps a "catchup post" to bring us up to speed on previous finds?

I'm glad to hear you're into this colonial forum idea. The more voice we get the better.

Hi; I'm 100% ALL IN.!!! :headbang: I make most of my Colonial Finds here starting from October - April eah year. After which the fields are plowed, hayed and planted or the grass is way to high making such hunts unfeasible. BUT I do have sites I go to that produce a bit during the warm weather until the crops are harvested and the fields are plowed again. I love it. Mods, What say ye ?? We await. PEACE:RONB :leprechaun-hat:

Haha, sounds like you find the goods man! I'm looking forward to your post. Perhaps a "catchup post" to bring us up to speed on previous finds?

I'm glad to hear you're into this colonial forum idea. The more voice we get the better.

You joined in 2014, so I have about about 14 years of catch up for ya. :)

This may be what I'm most excited about with this forum. Seeing some of the amazing pieces that I missed while you guys were hunting....and I was popping in my diaper lol

Lol. Fourteen years of your finds would be a beautiful thing man I'm sure. Do you have a colonial ba-ba (pacifier) for us Tnet youngsters?! Lol.

Some of the first posts could be greatest hits. That would surely get some people looking. I know you have some killer stuff, but what's your best?

Lol. Fourteen years of your finds would be a beautiful thing man I'm sure. Do you have a colonial ba-ba (pacifier) for us Tnet youngsters?! Lol.

Some of the first posts could be greatest hits. That would surely get some people looking. I know you have some killer stuff, but what's your best?

When I started detecting I thought I was old, but now looking back I was pretty young... just having turned 28.

Best Rev War King's American button... Rev War GR cartridge box plate... Rev War 24th & 76th officer buttons... 12 lb marked French cannon ball.. masonic ring from a loyalist settler from NY with his initials on it. Those are some of my favorite and best.

I wouldn't limit the new forum to any specific geographic area of North America.........
Folks back then kept their tools and belongings for many more years than the disposable society we have been accustomed to. Items were cared for and repaired when necessary. Those items were transported from east to west as the nation grew and are likely to be found in many areas of the country towards the Ohio Valley and Mississippi River frontiers and, possibly, beyond.............

Last edited:
I agree that there needs to be a Colonial forum covering a specific period in time. However, there is a need for an Estate Auction forum, a Variety & Error Coin forum as well as many more but at the same time, some Forums need to be merged as some kind of cover similar or identical subjects/things and this would help streamline things somewhat, making the website easier to navigate and find the Forum with the Threads you want to view or post in.

Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back