✅ SOLVED Colonial copper coin? Found in Salem, MA.

Greg7501

Jun 14, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,
My young son and I recently found this humble little coin in our yard, about 5" down. We live in on a block in Salem, MA, that has been populated since the 1600s. Definitely a historic neighborhood!
I didn't even think was a coin when we first dug it up, but upon dropping it on a table and hearing the unmistakable "coin" sound, I cleaned it and was pretty convinced I'd found an old coin of some sort.
Maybe one of the many miscellaneous European coppers used in the colonies in the 1600s and 1700s?
As the pictures show, it's about the size of a dime. Probably copper, from little shining bits of color that seem copper-color. REALLY corroded - hardly any features visible. And badly bent. What strikes me is that if I were to unbend the coin to see it flat again, it would not be a perfect circle. This irregular shape made me wonder if this coin could be an old hammered copper - 1600s or 1700s. And the extent of the corrosion made we think it's been in the ground for a longer - rather than shorter - time.
But I am prepared for the verdict that this is just a random piece of metal! I'm new to metal detecting!
Would be great to hear from others as to what (very roughly!) they think this coin could be.
Best,
Greg.

Attachments

• 2014.06.14 036.JPG
    2014.06.14 036.JPG
    761 KB · Views: 101
  • 2014.06.14 034.JPG
    2014.06.14 034.JPG
    673.8 KB · Views: 128
  • 2014.06.14 024.JPG
    2014.06.14 024.JPG
    775.4 KB · Views: 134
Most colonial coppers were a lot larger than this size.....And it is badly pitted. I'd say its just a random piece of metal. Possibly a mutilated flat button?

Upvote 0
Thanks - I also thought it was too small to be a colonial copper, but hoped I'd be told otherwise! Thanks for the button suggestion. A button as in a clothing button? Would those have been made of copper or similar a long time ago? It really does sound like a coin when you drop it.
Here are two more pics. One shows the thickness of this coin/button, and the other shows the only possible inscription I could find - what appears to be a "1" at the lower left corner (or an "I" - or, that said, an old-style 1). But could also be just an area left unpitted that looks like a 1, to an over-eager viewer.
Any final thoughts anyone? Much appreciated. Happy Father's Day/happy digging.
Best,
Greg.

Attachments

• 2014.06.14 007.JPG
    2014.06.14 007.JPG
    586.3 KB · Views: 77
  • 2014.06.14 016.JPG
    2014.06.14 016.JPG
    420 KB · Views: 81
Upvote 0
Welcome to TN Greg.Even though you probably don't have a Colonial copper just yet I have no doubt in my mind you will soon and other fabulous finds.

Upvote 0
My first inclination was that it was a Spanish copper coin from the 1600s as they are typically square-ish BUT......being the size of a dime, that would be too small for MOST Spanish coppers of that period. An exception would be a Spanish 2 maravedi of 1556-98. However, another possibility is this: British rose farthing of 1625-49. These are often quite square shaped. The only caveat with that is, the rose farthings are typically even smaller than a US dime. A third possibility...early to mid 1600s billon/copper coins of Dombes, France. Either way I think 1600s is a very safe bet-- so very likely around when the Salem Witch Trials were going on!.

Upvote 0
CoachBedford: To say that you have made my day is an understatement. I've just had a quick look into your three expert suggestions, and will definitely investigate further this week!
Funny, my wife is from Spain, believe it or not. She got a kick out of the maravedi theory, and vowed not to laugh at my humble find anymore! :)
Thanks again, very much, for taking the time to post.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back