Coloma SF Gold on Valentines Day

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, Being like a lot of married men I forgot to plan something out of the ordinary for my wife (and kids) for this Valentines day... BUT I redeemed myself with a spur of the moment Clark Griswald style family weekend adventure to Coloma CA! I took off work Friday and packed up everything, loaded the bike in the truck and hooked up the travel trailer and was soon at Coloma Resort Drinking a cold one in 78 degree weather. With a little day light left to ride the bike around and explore, I made my way around out to rock creek and back, checked out the new GPAA claim there for the heck of it but didnt hike down to the water. On my way back to town as it was now dark and stopped in at the Coloma Club for Dinner, What good times and people! Saturday morning the wife and girls arrived and we spent the day checking out the town on foot, good times and history then made our way back to camp where we went down to the water to find some authentic CA gold rush yellow gold straight from the SF American. Low and behold I found color in every pan, the best pan was from a spot I found that looked promising as ever and turned out so, the picture below if my best pan!

Im actually kind of shocked as Ive always kind of avoided Coloma as I just pictured it being picked over from all the tourism, but man was I wrong! Also you cant beat full hook ups and wifi and camping right on the river.. It was literally a 5 min walk from my rig to where I was prospecting. If I would have knows the gold would be this good id have spent more time on my awesome spot I found, I was only able to do about 5 pans since it was more of a family trip this time, but im going to spend a few days there with the bazooka this season for sure based on what I found. The wife is happy and so are there kids and dad gets some yellow stuff, was a good weekend :)

Here is a photo of my oldest daughter and I on the hunt, and a photo of my best pan.

Daddy&Savannahpanning-3MBfile.jpg20150215_202106.jpg

Upvote 0
By taking the family, you're starting a great tradition that can't be beat!

Keep making those solid gold memories; they're always worth more than the flakes in the pan.

All the best,

Lanny

Thanks Lanny, My daughter loves prospecting and is pretty good with a pan, kinda surprised me actually! This place is great for a someone wanting to find some gold with the family, heck if you cant find it in the river you could always find something at the panning tubs in town!

If your into crevasing this is also a great place, there is tons of exposed fractured bedrock towards the southern end of town, I was digging mostly around this area.

Looks like a great day! Nice Alpinestars hat!

Thanks Aufisher, yeah I've had that hat for a long time now, its my don't mind if I lose it or if it gets destroyed hat lol..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back