✅ SOLVED Coin that I cant ID.

majolle

Greenie
Apr 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Coin that I can't ID.

Many years ago I found this old coin, dug it up in a rock overhang cavern that had been a campsite since indians roamed the area.
I asked a few people if they knew and nobody was sure. It is about the size of a modern nickle, I guess a copper alloy, possibly silver. I didn't clean or scrape it to find out.
I had completely forgotten about it until I read a forum post on another coin.

Attachments

• coin face.jpg
    coin face.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 122
  • coin back.jpg
    coin back.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 101
Hard to make out. Person by a tree with sword? Looks like jack and the beanstalk! Gl

I agree with Bryan, it looks like Jack In The Beanstalk; perhaps a token. :) Breezie

coin face.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Bryan,
Yes/No. Yes, last year a similar coin was posted. Earlier today I jumped on this one thinking it's the same--but it isn't. The reverse of the "Z" coin has 'La Bufa' in the background. This one seems to have the liberty cap. I put some time on it this afternoon but never found a match.
This is what I wrote last year regarding a similar, but not identical obverse Mexican (Z) coin, but this reverse is different.
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what/298370-unknown-coin.html
No, you're not losing your mind, I thought I was.
Don.....

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That back is def a mex liberty back. I just can't find a right match for the front. I am leaning towards Cupid though

Upvote 0
The mind plays tricks:
Now I can imagine instead of a bow, it's really his left arm holding a lance which has stabbed an antlered animal, now erect.
Don..... (I'm reaching for the merlot.....may soon have another opinion.)

Upvote 0
I'm with Don on the Merlot . . .my answer subject to change in the next 30 minutes . . .so now I'm thinking it's some type of either Nursery Rhyme or Mardi Gras token. :) Breezie

Upvote 0
I think I found it.. good leads!

Durango 1828 1/8 real - CoinFactsWiki

This specimen is one of a series of copper eighth reales issued 1828 by the state of Durango. It is among the less common "octavos" of the state, which issued the denomination 1824-54.

Attachments

• durango.jpg
    durango.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 111
  • durango2.jpg
    durango2.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 109
Upvote 0
That looks like it right there awesome

Upvote 0
Way to go Bramble on the ID. I'm glad you found it, if not, Don and I would have had to finish that bottle of Merlot! :icon_thumright: Breezie

Upvote 0
Yes I would say that is it. Now I'm going to have to do some wondering how it got to where I found it. Does anybody know how wide spread these were issued. A little more detail on the find area. It is on private property along a secondary stream in southern Idaho. I'm thinking a sheepherder maybe?

Upvote 0
Good catch Bramblefind !!
I finished the Merlot then saw that I had (easily) overlooked what Bramblefind found. (Child holding bow in front of small tree). BTW, the 2013 No. Am. Guide (retail) states the value of this coin is $7.50 (G); $16.50 (VG); $40 (F) and $115 ((VG)
Don.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back