Coin of some sort? HELP!

Ben0909

Greenie
May 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found this coin a while ago and put it to one side meaning to find out what it is but never did!

The coin is a gold colour however im quite sure its not made out of gold as it is very light about the weight of a 5p coin. Its about 2cm in diameter and extremely thin about 1mm. It has weird symbols on, but i have no idea from what language. I also have a strong feeling this is something to do with religion.

On one side there seems to be a warrior possibly greek by the looks of him not sure though! He is holding a spear with a cross on one end going across his body pointing downwards and there appears to be some sort of halo over his head or maybe his helmet hard to tell.

On the other side there is a shield divided into four sections with different images on each section. Above the shield is another cross.. And it appears to all be in a old weighing type thing.

Thats everything i think but if theres anything else you would like to know i can find out!

Any help is much appreciated! Thanks! photo (1).JPGphoto (2).JPGphoto.JPG

Your kidding me right :dontknow: Gold Hammered Half or Quarter Angel depending on size...did you find that with a detector, and are you from England...Welcome by the way, if that's real and it looks like it is...WOW. can you read any of the legend around the coin? I think it's a half or quarter Angle, but can't make out which one....possible Elizabeth1st.

SS

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yes im from NW.England and no i just found it in my garden! But since posting this i have been playing with it, and im quite sure its fake, sadly.. It is very light (too light to be gold i think) Its weighs roughly the same as a 5p coin! Im only 16 years old so i don't know a lot about this stuff sorry! Is there somewhere i can find information about the coin? Thanks!

Forgot to add another thing that makes me think its fake is that theres a small grid on the writing on both sides and on the pictures i have found online of the coin its on none of them so im not sure but i thinks its fake!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yes im from NW.England and no i just found it in my garden! But since posting this i have been playing with it, and im quite sure its fake, sadly.. It is very light (too light to be gold i think) Its weighs roughly the same as a 5p coin! Im only 16 years old so i don't know a lot about this stuff sorry! Is there somewhere i can find information about the coin? Thanks!
Fake gold coins are usually stamped, and a half/quarter angel would not weigh very much, if you can get the exact weight I can tell if it's some were near.

SS

Upvote 0
I don't have scales that are that accurate they can weigh the coin! (Moving house so will in a few days) But its abit lighter than a 5p coin if that helps? Also what would the stamp look like? Thanks

Upvote 0
Im quite sure that its a Henry VIII Gold Half-angel. The symbols on it are very similar to the ones on that coin! And the Henry VIII Gold half-angel only weighs 2.45g less than a 5p coin..

Upvote 0
Im quite sure that its a Henry VIII Gold Half-angel. The symbols on it are very similar to the ones on that coin! And the Henry VIII Gold half-angel only weighs 2.45g less than a 5p coin..
Yes...I knew they were quite light, does it bend easy, these coins were made of high karat gold, and are very manuble.

SS

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ohh right, when i found it, it was bent, but i can't bend it myself, its solid!

Upvote 0
This is a weird thread... So is this thing real or not?
You wrote "Im quite sure that its a Henry VIII Gold Half-angel. The symbols on it are very similar to the ones on that coin! And the Henry VIII Gold half-angel only weighs 2.45g less than a 5p coin.."....

Dear young friend Ben0909 go check your find with someone that has either a gold testing kit or ask a local archaeologist...

I'll give a banner vote to such a find but if it's fake you should tell us

Upvote 0
Im going to go to my local jewellers so they can tell me if its real or fake, as soon as I find out i will tell you! And its still sort of bent I have been able to make small changes to it so its not as bent. Whats a banner vote? :)

photo (3).JPG photo (4).JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That's an interesting find, hope you get good news. it certainly has nice details, Michael the Archangel slaying the dragon. hence 'Angel', please put those pliers away.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This is a weird thread... So is this thing real or not?
You wrote "Im quite sure that its a Henry VIII Gold Half-angel. The symbols on it are very similar to the ones on that coin! And the Henry VIII Gold half-angel only weighs 2.45g less than a 5p coin.."....

Dear young friend Ben0909 go check your find with someone that has either a gold testing kit or ask a local archaeologist...

I'll give a banner vote to such a find but if it's fake you should tell us
It's only weird to you not me, the lad is only asking for advice on here, like many people do, how many people post things on here asking if it's gold or silver...a lot, that's why it's called the whatsit forum and he doesn't know if it's fake or not because it has no copy, or reproduction mark.

SS

Upvote 0
There is a reproduction of this coin and it doesn't appear to have "fake" or "reproduction" stamped on it. But the good news is that it is pewter with gold plating on top. Pewter is very heavy, so you would know if you had the reproduction coin.

This coin sells for $5,000 (about 3,000 GBP) on eBay, so I would definitely get it checked out!

Upvote 0
As previously stated, please put the needle-nose pliers away. I nearly to jumped out of my' skin when I saw that, YIKES!! Gold of the purity used in most Gold coins is very soft and malleable and by using needle-nose pliers to hold or bend it, will leave teeth impressions of the pliers on the coin. If the coin is a fake, it may not matter too much but if genuine, the teeth impressions of the pliers could reduce the value by many multiples depending how bad they are on the coin.

Frank

Upvote 0
Several kings produced full, half and quarter Gold Angels all very similar. This one seems to be the Angle with one foot on dragon, others have Angle with both feet on dragon. (quite a few varieties of this coin) This one also has the crowned portcullis as the mint mark, which does make it HenryV111.

SS

Upvote 0
If it was bent very much, it's not likely pewter. Pewter cracks easily and if gold plated, that should have popped loose at any creases. Any sign of bubbles or worn-through spots?

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back