Coin Identification Help

dirtygirl

Greenie
Oct 10, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've found several of these near a shipwreck site. I tried cleaning with a wire brush and can see a gold color underneath the brown, some are silver. There are various sizes and shapes. I didn't want to ruin them it they are indeed coins. Anyone who may be familiar with shipwreck coin identification, please help. I will start with just a couple, front and back. coin1.jpgcoinside2.jpg
Thanks.

Can't say I know anything about shipwreck coins but when it comes to cleaning coins wire brushes are generally thought to be bad news. A long soak in distilled water or olive oil may be the trick and then gentle cleaning with a soft brush....and then repeat....a lot

Upvote 0
I tried cleaning with a wire brush. I didn't want to ruin them it they are indeed coins.
Thanks.

Well your off to a good start in just doing that.

From the pictures (hard to tell as the image is too small) the items look like iron that that's been exposed to salt water for many years and flacks off the ship plate and washes up on shore.

Have you tried a magnet on the pieces yet?

Upvote 0
Don't be too downhearted :) - if the items are for your own enjoyment and you have no intention of selling them do what you like. With collector grade coins any cleaning will take away value - even a light rub with a cloth leaves tell-tale marks to a coin which can be identified by a collector with a jewellers loupe. With dug coins its important to take care but lets face it you have to get the dirt and mud off somehow. A quick google search about cleaning coins will assist.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back