All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• IMG_2483.jpeg
    IMG_2483.jpeg
    239.4 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_2482.jpeg
    IMG_2482.jpeg
    146 KB · Views: 43
looks to be a low value coin, Greek influenced, like a lepton (widow's mite). Somewhere eastern Mediterranean...old.

Unclemac,

Value isn't a concern at all. I'm just curious if it's real and if so how can i get an ID. This was found on a NC beach and if its as old as it appears, why is it there? Someone said it resembled the Crusade Coinage. I've looked at all of those examples i can find. I see a lot of things that make me think it could be related to those coins, but still can't find an example of one that matches up with this one.

All
A friend of mine found this while detecting on a NC beach a few years ago. Just a shot in the dark here to try and get an ID. We’ve searched and searched but no luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated:)
Oh wow those are really beautiful coins. I looked them up & this is what I found. Great find

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240726-164737.png
    Screenshot_20240726-164737.png
    808.7 KB · Views: 17
Lots of reasons they are here. The Liberty ships from WWII brough sand from Italy, and North Africa back as ballast and it was dumped. I guess about anywhere. I found a Roman coin in NJ once and that's my guess why it was was. Also, kids take their parents stuff and lose it. Anywhere. And, a coin collector could have lost it. I detected a house in SC years ago and found a Byzantine coin from the 6th century. People just lose stuff all the time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back