19.3 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_1566.JPEG
    IMG_1566.JPEG
    26 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_1567.JPEG
    IMG_1567.JPEG
    21.9 KB · Views: 57
Upvote 4
My Grandfather. He was awesome at pretty much anything. Thanks.

My Grandfather. He was awesome at pretty much anything. Thanks.
Looks like it was used as target practice and still has the 22 lead embedded in it. Good shot whomever shot it. Bullseye 😀
How did you gather it was from a 22? I know he spent time in Australia recovering from an injury during WWII, at that time. Wish he was here to ask. So, looking at the coin it appears to be target practice instead of a coin on the person?
1943 Australia Sixpence. Any idea

Cool find !
Yes, looks like it's been shot.

I've straightened a lot of bent coins by putting the coin in between two piece of Hardwood.
Then put the wood and the coin in a Vise or put on a flat surface and hit the wood with a Hammer.
I won't come out perfect but it will be a lot better then it is now.

Cool find !
Yes, looks like it's been shot.

I've straightened a lot of bent coins by putting the coin in between two piece of Hardwood.
Then put the wood and the coin in a Vise or put on a flat surface and hit the wood with a Hammer.
I won't come out perfect but it will be a lot better then it is now.
I don’t want to straighten it. It seems perfect the way it is. Just wondering how it happened.

I don't think it was shot. Shot coins have a hole in them or at least a dent from the impact.
I believe this coin was used as a jewelry item or similar and the spot on the obverse is where it was welded or soldered to, say a shank, for example.

I don't think it was shot. Shot coins have a hole in them or at least a dent from the impact.
I believe this coin was used as a jewelry item or similar and the spot on the obverse is where it was welded or soldered to, say a shank, for example.
Hi. Small Aussie sixpence shot with a soft 22 would just bend it. Have found numerous shot coins here that were just indented. Especially the old fashioned .22's, they were pretty low velocity, often subsonic or just on the sos. Plinkers!

Chilli. How does the shot bend it the WRONG way?
I've found coins that have been shot and including wheat pennies shot by a pellet gun. That coin has NOT been shot and was instead attached to something with the "lead" you speak of.
HH ALL

Chilli. How does the shot bend it the WRONG way?
I've found coins that have been shot and including wheat pennies shot by a pellet gun. That coin has NOT been shot and was instead attached to something with the "lead" you speak of.
HH ALL
Agree 100%. I've shot a ton of coins in my misguided youth, definitely not shot. Most likely soldered to something. I've seen trick coins fashioned into a nail head that were driven into a floor. Fools people when they try to pick them up.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back