2.3 MB · Views: 75
  • IMG_2767.jpeg
    IMG_2767.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 72
Upvote 24
Very nice work
Congratulations

Nice finds.
I would say that one farthing is definitely a non-regal or evasion example. These were counterfeits produced in the US in the 1770's and 80's and are a fascinating group of coins. In fact most of the George 111 farthings and halfpennies that I find here in Canada are counterfeits due to a severe shortage of spare change in the British Colonies in that period. I suspect that the worn coin is the same. They can vary in diameter and thickness quite a bit.

Great Finds !!!

Nice. I haven't been in a few years. It is not uncommon to find "new" shipwreck coins there. People think its funny to put them out for folks with detectors to find. I found a fake Netherlands daalder there years ago.

So I went out to Oc Md couple weeks ago and decided to ride up to coin beach turned out to be a good day got 2 coins that were off the faithful steward ship wreck one I can’t really id but one I think is a george 111 1770 was a fun day my heart dropped when I saw what I thought was Spanish gold. It’s a fake thanks for looking
Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!

So I went out to Oc Md couple weeks ago and decided to ride up to coin beach turned out to be a good day got 2 coins that were off the faithful steward ship wreck one I can’t really id but one I think is a george 111 1770 was a fun day my heart dropped when I saw what I thought was Spanish gold. It’s a fake thanks for looking
Hey Its Dave, I ran into you out there on your hunt. Congrats!

great saves, wtg

Nice. I haven't been in a few years. It is not uncommon to find "new" shipwreck coins there. People think its funny to put them out for folks with detectors to find. I found a fake Netherlands daalder there years ago.
Some People :BangHead:

thanks, from what i read most of the coins on the faithful steward were fake.I was hesitant to go detect there put was happy to come away with one coin I could id from the ship
Congratulations Mike! I’ve been there…100 times and not found one of the coins from the wreck. You did amazingly well!

FYI the coins came from Ireland (that was the ships’s departure point) and it was full of primarily counterfeit coins that the captain couldn’t unload in the British Isles, so that’s why he was bringing them to the Colonies.
Or at least that’s the history I remember from studying the wreck. (Happy to have corrections if I’m wrong.)

thanks for the info Brianc I went out there hoping to just to find one but came home with 2 whether was great waves were big all week.some places on the beach were cut out 10 to 15 feet.funny thing is I found everything up high on top of the cut.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back