Coil repair person

Is coil waterproof? Have used it in any water?

yes, coil is water proof. haven't used in water in years.

Those things are built like a rock.

I looked at images for the coin strike coil online but didn't see the connector in the images. Other Fisher coils appear to have a metal DIN connector which can be disassembled. If you are feeling capable and have the tools, you could take the DIN connector apart and look at the solder connections to see if you have any corroded, broken, or shorted wires. If your problem is in the coil, there is probably little hope for repair.

I looked at images for the coin strike coil online but didn't see the connector in the images. Other Fisher coils appear to have a metal DIN connector which can be disassembled. If you are feeling capable and have the tools, you could take the DIN connector apart and look at the solder connections to see if you have any corroded, broken, or shorted wires. If your problem is in the coil, there is probably little hope for repair.
I removed the connector and checked the connections, which seem to be solid. The only thing I can figure is the must be a break either in the wiring or in the coil. Either way, I've done as much as I can do with it.

Reactions: Ism
I have a Fisher Coin Strike 8" coil which stopped working. I called Fisher/First Texas, which kind of said good luck with that one since the Coin Strike is an obsolete model. So anyone know of someone who fixes coils?
Maybe a frayed wire a lot of the coil wires from fisher had that issue. Good luck

yes, coil is water proof. haven't used in water in years.
Reason I ask is that If a coil has a very tiny leak in salt water it can take couple years for it to go bad, it slowly fails as the windings rust until it finally rust through a strand, I have had one fail that way myself....Just a thought.

I removed the connector and checked the connections, which seem to be solid. The only thing I can figure is the must be a break either in the wiring or in the coil. Either way, I've done as much as I can do with it.
If you have an ohmmeter, you could compare it to your good coil by testing the pins. Once you find out the pins that have continuity in the good coil, then you can compare the bad coil and see which pins have a broken connection. Then while the meter is still connected, work your way down the cable bending small sections into a U shape (various directions) while watching for the meter to show continuity. If the break is in the cable and at least 1 inch (25mm) above the coil housing, it can be repaired.

Reason I ask is that If a coil has a very tiny leak in salt water it can take couple years for it to go bad, it slowly fails as the windings rust until it finally rust through a strand, I have had one fail that way myself....Just a thought.
that is a strong possibility, since I used it down in the Islands on the beach for a few years and even at the waters edge.

Unfortunately, I don't own nor know how use an ohmmeter. When it comes to electrics, on and off is about my limit of expertise.

If the problem is in the coil itself, you can't fix it. The coil is potted in epoxy. OTOH, being potted in epoxy makes it unlikely the problem is in the coil. More likely it's in the cable or the connector. You say the connector looks fine, so now it's down to the cable. It's possible to splice in a new cable but it's tough to do right and making it waterproof is even more difficult. Ism is right, first thing to do is measure the coil to see what you've got.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back