Coil disconnecting underwater and poor signals

Jup51

Greenie
Jul 2, 2011
First time this happened to me since getting the deus 2:

The detector underwater could barely pick up my large scoop and when it did, the signals were really raspy and barely registering (dive mode). The coil had a hard time staying connected and would frequently disconnect from the remote. I spent an hour going back and forth (from the water) trying to fiddle with the remote/coil/antenna cable. The cable was tightly secured to the coil and so was the remote end of the cable. I turned the remote on and off a few times as well - to no avail. When the detector was out of the water, it worked completely fine.

Can anyone help me out? I have no idea what it could be. I'm still on the original stock version (0.6), but that hasn't been a problem in the past.

OP
OP
J

Jup51

Greenie
Jul 2, 2011
Do you believe that the warranty will cover for a new cable?

DWerk

Oct 18, 2020
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Whites V3i, AT Pro, Deus 1, Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't know for sure since it is an additional part of an accessory. Watch some of the videos and check out the postings on various forums and you will find that you can replace the antenna with standard antenna coax sold by some of the electronics stores for a few cents a foot. Make your own, lead it up the interior of the Deus stem so you don't have all the excess wound around the outside. There are al lot of videos and posts on what/how it is done. Much easier to use in/out of the water when done.

Bucket Lister

Dec 20, 2023
Detector(s) used
XP Dēus II
XP MI-6
XP WSA II-XL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do you believe that the warranty will cover for a new cable?
Depends.
From: https://www.xpmetaldetectors.com/en/page/warranty.php

5 YEAR WARRANTY​

XP Metal Detectors warrants that their metal detectors will be free from defects in materials or workmanship for 5 years. This contractual warranty for parts and labour takes effect from the initial date of purchase.

This warranty does not cover:
  • Breakage caused by falls, impacts or accidental damage
  • Damage caused by abnormal use or resulting from non-compliance with the conditions of use stipulated in the device's instructions
  • Alteration of the electronic circuit by any unauthorized person
  • Using without coil cover or using defective coil cover
  • Corrosion of electronic circuits due to water ingress
  • A reduction in battery life due to battery ageing
  • Breakage of cables or wires
Spare parts are not covered by the 5 years warranty.
IANAL, but IMO, the cable is not an accessory or spare part (like the redundant bolts to attach the coil to the lower shaft); It came with--and as a part of--the Dēus II, and is necessary for it to function underwater as intended. I sure didn't (and wouldn't have) ordered/paid for one if it were an option.

Breakage of cables or wires are specifically excepted (as are a few other possible reasons for the cable not working), but if the antenna is defective, it should be covered (IMO).

$25 does seem a bit steep for a 4' antenna cable, but IDK if substituting a generic cable might void the warranty in some other way. :dontknow:

JedinNC

Jul 7, 2009
Topsail Island/Raleigh, N.C.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II , Nokta Legend, Equinox 600, Excal II, Tesoro Sand Shark, White's M6
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Don't know for sure since it is an additional part of an accessory. Watch some of the videos and check out the postings on various forums and you will find that you can replace the antenna with standard antenna coax sold by some of the electronics stores for a few cents a foot. Make your own, lead it up the interior of the Deus stem so you don't have all the excess wound around the outside. There are al lot of videos and posts on what/how it is done. Much easier to use in/out of the water when done.
The antenna cables that I have made seem to hold up much better than the stock ones. I sealed the cable up with 2 layers of marine heat shrink and it has yet to turn black on the end after 4 months.

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The antenna cables that I have made seem to hold up much better than the stock ones. I sealed the cable up with 2 layers of marine heat shrink and it has yet to turn black on the end after 4 months.
> and it has yet to turn black on the end after 4 months.

What do you mean by "turning black"?

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have read that there is an adapter that clips onto the remote to hold the wire in place and prevents it from falling off.
I can't seem to find it online but a few have shown them in screen shots or videos.

Bucket Lister

Dec 20, 2023
Detector(s) used
XP Dēus II
XP MI-6
XP WSA II-XL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have read that there is an adapter that clips onto the remote to hold the wire in place and prevents it from falling off.
I can't seem to find it online but a few have shown them in screen shots or videos.
This one?
1708956269003.png

It comes with the Dēus II. It's not shown in the photos on pg 44 of the destructions, but it does appear in the exploded view on pg 45.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This one?
View attachment 2133684
It comes with the Dēus II. It's not shown in the photos on pg 44 of the destructions, but it does appear in the exploded view on pg 45.
Not an original piece of standard equipment.
They're after market 3D printed part.
Calabash digger had one on his underwater unit.
Spoke of it in some detail.
Though his videos are now private it seems.:dontknow:

JedinNC

Jul 7, 2009
Topsail Island/Raleigh, N.C.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II , Nokta Legend, Equinox 600, Excal II, Tesoro Sand Shark, White's M6
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
> and it has yet to turn black on the end after 4 months.

What do you mean by "turning black"?
I hunt in saltwater. Eventually, the saltwater will wick its way inside the antenna (waveguide) and it will start to corrode on the coil side of the antenna. After a while, the corrosion will get so bad that the antenna will no longer transmits. sorry I don't have a picture of a bad antenna. Here is a picture of one I made and terminated with marine heat shrink.
Screen Shot 2024-02-26 at 9.46.02 AM.png

Last edited:

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do not know, everything I've read on T-Net shows the Deus as a great detector. Perhaps, and only perhaps of course, the Deus II for turf, and something else for the surf?

DWerk

Oct 18, 2020
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Whites V3i, AT Pro, Deus 1, Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If set up properly the Deus II is an excellent detector in the water; shallow or deep.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread