Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this Coca-Cola 5 Cents Token a couple of days ago. This token was down about 8" and had a thick green patina on it. It came from an old home site that has been gone for a long time and I have dug a few old coins from the late 1800's to early 1900's. I had never seen a token like it and wanted to get some more info. I have not been able to find another one like it on the internet. I sent an email to the President of the Coca-Cola Collectables Club. He emailed me back and said it was a "fantasy" token meant to look old and probably made in the late 60's to early 70's. I really don't think this is a spoof token made to look old, it has the characteristics of an old "good for" token to me. So I wanted to see if any of the experts here could shed some more light on this token. Thanks, David

Attachments

• image-1897189212.jpg
    image-1897189212.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 141
  • image-1148074934.jpg
    image-1148074934.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 132
  • image-2413962422.jpg
    image-2413962422.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 147
Upvote 6
Great find, put it on (if you haven't already) token forum and What is it forum. Good luck on the ID, very cool either way if you ask me.

Coca-Cola Fakes

No expert here...just did a little google searching... haven't ready the link in the entirety...but sound like that is a fake.

Coca-Cola Fakes No expert here...just did a little google searching... haven't ready the link in the entirety...but sound like that is a fake.

Yeah I found that page as well. Just by reading that you would think it's a "fantasy" token. But I have seen the tokens it uses for the examples on the net but have not found one like this. Those tokens only have the writing on one side. I would just like a positive ID that this one is a spoof as well. Thanks for your help.

The patina does look right. They made watch fobs, so why not tokens?

Thanks guys. I agree with the look and patina of this token being old. It matches with other merchandise tokens and "good for" tokens I have found that are early 1900's

As someone stated above, fake or not it's still a very cool find. Congrats.

real deal in my eyes congrats

If it said Bottle & was real Fancy with a pic of an
old timey-Wimy girl I'd say maybe Fake.

Good for "Contents", Suggests to me it was for a Bottle of Soda at a Fountain,
and you would expect they would pour it in a glass.
No 5 cent deposit bottle

Last edited:
The patina looks right to me and I'll bet the hole was punched to void the token when it was redeemed for a Coke.

I remember when a coke was 5 cents. I believe it is real.

Thanks guys! I got another email from a gentleman with the Coca-Cola Collectables Club saying that this is a "fantasy" token made to fool collectors and probably made in the 70's. I have a hard time believing this token was made in the 70's. I have not been shown the same token or how they have come to know that this is just a spoof. I am going to keep looking for this same token until I get a positive ID on this one.

Certainly LOOKS legit. Even if it's fake, it's gotta be old. I don't think you can replicate that natural patina..... I say thumbs up real!:thumbsup:

Considering the depth and age of the site, (and age related finds) I would surmise that the token is the real deal.

Its doubtful that someone would salt an old site with a fantasy token...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back