cleaning paper????

whitesid

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2006
earth
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
everytime that i got to the bank i always check my bills. i have gotten some cool numbered and some star notes. i noticed alot of them had writing on them and dark ink stains. how would you get that off. i use a regular eraser to get the light dirt and pencil off but what about the marker and pen?

my friend told me that he got some powder or chemical from his chemistry teacher that when it is put on paper it pulls the dirt out of it. he had cleaned many of his old bill with it. does anyone know what this maybe?

whitesid said:
anyone know??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

I'm not sure of the chemical but I'll try to research it. The best thing I know of that does what you want is "Silly Putty". Do you know how that works?

Ant said:
whitesid said:
anyone know??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

I'm not sure of the chemical but I'll try to research it. The best thing I know of that does what you want is "Silly Putty". Do you know how that works?
not really, i know it like picks up some ink. is that right?

Yes, it can pick up ink and can transfer the ink to another piece of paper (that's how the putty can be cleaned). It comes in a plastic egg and if you're skilled enough it might work.

It might not pick up all of the ink, but the more applications applied, the more it picks up. It picks up dirt and fiber too, so you'll have to work slow. Try to apply the SP only to the affected areas. That's if you decided to try it.

Below is a sub quote from: http://www.sillyputty.com/silly_science/silly_science.htm

It can pick up pencil marks from pages and comics from some newspapers.

The other technique that I know of is called "Ink Bleaching". The G-Man doesn't like us knowing this techniques, because forgeries and the like. Here's the link. but make sure that's legal in you area first. The link is a long read, if you want to speed it up, just yahoo "Ink Bleaching".

http://www.djmcadam.com/ink-phenomena.html

I literally used to wash my paper money in the sink. I'd lather up my hands with some Ivory soap and then rub the bills between my soapy hands. I don't recall if ink was erased, but it got the bills very clean. Then I'd dry out the currency between two white cotton kitchen dish towels, with a heavy thing on top of them. However, collectors of currency don't like to have the bills cleaned. They want them fresh as a daisy.

Sometimes you can request the bank get a new bundle of one's, fives, tens, twenties, fifties, or hundreds for you. The one dollar bills would have the best chance of being brand new, of course, because more of them are printed. Or just ask the teller if they have any new money. I've got a brand new dollar bill with the serial number of L 12121212 K I don't think it's worth more than a buck, but it's cool to look at and it's crisp! It came from a bundle of 100 that was newly arrived from the Federal Reserve Bank. A collector can get bundles of bills just like coin rolls.

Ok I may sound kooky, but I like, no love crisp bills. I work part time as a waiter, and at the end of the night I would have a wad of nasty crumpled one dollar bills. I would wash my bills and then iron them. Yes Iron Them! That is actually how I found a counterfeit 10 dollar bill because the ink leaked all over the other bills. The bills are as crisp as if they were fresh from the bank. I like the way the fit neatly into my wallet.

have seen art restorer use Xtra ground corn meal and also baking soda to get the dinginess off the white border on art prints,,,,putting it on, rubbing VERY lightly and vacuum off, repeating several times to get desired result....do not rub with pressure or it will start degenerating paper.......g

tpmrcp said:
Ok I may sound kooky, but I like, no love crisp bills. I work part time as a waiter, and at the end of the night I would have a wad of nasty crumpled one dollar bills. I would wash my bills and then iron them. Yes Iron Them! That is actually how I found a counterfeit 10 dollar bill because the ink leaked all over the other bills. The bills are as crisp as if they were fresh from the bank. I like the way the fit neatly into my wallet.

Can you say "obsessive?" LOL You're in the wrong line of work. You ought to work as the head teller of a bank. All the clean money you can handle. Plus, some money that was "stored" in places you don't even want to think about. I was the head teller of a bank for a few years and I had to touch money that customers brought in that would make me want to ralph because it was so nasty.

My wife caught on of our sons Ironing his money after he got his first pay check from his first job, He was excited to have his own money and wanted to cherry it out so he ironed it all to make it look new

Eddy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back