North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cleaners, clip, buttons, bottle, & others

Still gridding off the horse pasture during lunch at my plantation site. Yesterday it was raining a bit so I ventured off into the woods until it let up. I stumbled upon two small crumbled stone foundations piled up very close to the pond and creek, and a large deep hole (old well?) . I think these may have been slave shacks. I did a bit of swinging and came up with an old button fairly quickly. Good sign. :thumbsup: I then spotted a bottle 1/2 buried next to a tree. I think it is from the late 1800's? I scanned over one of the foundation piles and pulled out one of those decorative cast iron pieces that holds the logs in the fireplace, a piece of a cast iron stove with "Stove" and "Range" cast into it, some horse harness pieces, a wagon wheel ring, etc. To heavy to drag out of the woods, so I'll try to take my camera back in there next time around.
Here are my finds:

*Two CLEANER BULLETS- night & day as far as patina on them.
ID'd by Civilman below.

*A small clip of some sort with a design and "Pat. Oct 15, 89' " on it. Inventor: Jacob Gump. (Forrest's Dad?) :wink:
Any idea? ID'd by PBK below.

*A 5-sided decorative piece for harness or leather bag (?).
I've found these in the past at other CW areas, but they were a lot bigger than this one.

*14mm flat button - "Imperial Standard" back mark.

*18mm flat button (circa 1800-1830) - This one has me puzzled. :icon_scratch: It is a better quality metal than most that I find. I think it is brass. It has a beveled edge too. It has three words as a back mark. One is "Stand" , one is "Best", and the other is driving me nuts!!! :tongue3: On the third word I can see "ST????"
Any idea what this third word is?
Any idea on the age?

ID'd by PBK below.

*20mm flat button w/shank and wreath back mark.

*Asst'd relics: umbrella rod slide piece ? , possible utensil handle? (very thin though), etc.

*An old bottle - 9" tall with LYRIC on the base. Circa 1915-1929.
Any idea of the age?
Bottle ID'd by PBK below.

Thanks for looking,
MM

Attachments

• MVC-209S.JPG
    MVC-209S.JPG
    28.2 KB · Views: 531
  • MVC-220S.JPG
    MVC-220S.JPG
    28.8 KB · Views: 522
  • MVC-219S.JPG
    MVC-219S.JPG
    33.4 KB · Views: 529
  • MVC-218S.JPG
    MVC-218S.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 516
  • MVC-217S.JPG
    MVC-217S.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 544
  • MVC-215S.JPG
    MVC-215S.JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 539
  • MVC-214S.JPG
    MVC-214S.JPG
    35.5 KB · Views: 536
  • MVC-213S.JPG
    MVC-213S.JPG
    28.6 KB · Views: 536
  • MVC-212S.JPG
    MVC-212S.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 532
  • MVC-211S.JPG
    MVC-211S.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 533
  • MVC-210S.JPG
    MVC-210S.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 529
Upvote 0
Re: Cleaners, clip, buttons, bottle, & others

Where do you find all this great stuff? Amazing!! Congrats on another successful hunt Doug. :thumbsup:

very nice finds MM and great pics also ! congrats :wink:

ModernMiner said:
*18mm flat button - This one has me puzzled. :icon_scratch: It is a better quality metal than most that I find. I think it is brass. It has a beveled edge too. It has three words as a back mark. One is "Stand" , one is "Best", and the other is driving me nuts!!! :tongue3: On the third word I can see "ST????"
Any idea what this third word is?

The backmark is "BEST STRONG / STAND"— and here's a link to another example:

http://beaversmill.ieasysite.com/new_home_page_008.htm

Hi MM. In response to your "*A small clip of some sort with a design and "Pat. Oct 15, 89' " on it", I believe that it is a suspender buckle, but I could certainly be wrong. Great finds from that site. Keep us posted.
Ron in Georgia

Get back into the wood's Doug,Rain or Shine!!.The two William's are like the other's you've found before,Type III's.As far as the umbrella piece....I'm not so sure bud,it very well could be a "hat ventilator" that were sewn into the hat's.I'll get a pic in a few minute's and post it for Ya.That's a ton of button's you've recovered,all keeper's in my book.Great dig's Doug.....Still lookin'.Congrat's!!!

Attachments

• P4040003.JPG
    P4040003.JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 467

Doug-a-rama, :D

You are the man! Those buttons are sweeeeet!

Keep sweeping in that area, a COPPA will surface soon!

Kirk :thumbsup:

Very cool finds! Glad you decided to get back in the trees and found that area!

The "I within a diamond" and "Lyric" trademarks identify the bottle as a c. 1915-29 prescription bottle produced for the pharmaceutical trade by the Illinois Glass Company of Alton, IL and Gas City, IN.

The buckle looks as if it is probably based on the following patent of the same date:

Click on this link.

Excellent finds,

HH

YOU AND BUTTONS BRO, WHATS YOUR QUOTA PER HUNT? NO RAIN TOMMORROW! WIFE SAID I CAN HUNT,SWEET

Nick Pappagiorgio said:
Doug,
Congratulations...That Bottle is WAY COOL...
The Cleaners are RIGHTEOUS...
Another STELLAR assortment from my good friend...
Good Stuff,
Nick

Thanks Buddy. :thumbsup:
Hitting the 1830's CW house tomorrow if no rain. Hopefully there's a few goodies waiting there for me. :wink:
-Lish-

Evolution said:
Where do you find all this great stuff? Amazing!! Congrats on another successful hunt Doug. :thumbsup:

Thanks Ev.
I'm very lucky to have the old properties right by work. Not many folks get the chance to MD at lunch. They are big properties too, so it would take me a lifetime to hit it all. I'm trying though. :wink: Good luck this weekend.
-MM-

weasel606 said:
very nice finds MM and great pics also ! congrats :wink:

Thanks Weasel. I hope you and the mrs. are doing great. :thumbsup:
-MM-

PBK said:
The backmark is "BEST STRONG / STAND"— and here's a link to another example:
http://beaversmill.ieasysite.com/new_home_page_008.htm
PBK said:
The "I within a diamond" and "Lyric" trademarks identify the bottle as a c. 1915-29 prescription bottle produced for the pharmaceutical trade by the Illinois Glass Company of Alton, IL and Gas City, IN.
The buckle looks as if it is probably based on the following patent of the same date:
Click on this link.

PBK,
I've said it before, and I'll say it again......YOU are amazing!!! Please don't ever leave this site. :wink: Your help is very much appreciated. Now I can label these items. That button back mark was so different than the ones I usually find.
I can't believe the last name of the buckle inventor was "Gump". ;D
Thanks again for all of your help,
Doug

RonO said:
Hi MM. In response to your "*A small clip of some sort with a design and "Pat. Oct 15, 89' " on it", I believe that it is a suspender buckle, but I could certainly be wrong. Great finds from that site. Keep us posted.
Ron in Georgia

Thanks Ron.
I was surprised to see any writing on this little buckle. Made my day. :thumbsup:
-MM-

civilman1 said:
Get back into the wood's Doug,Rain or Shine!!.The two William's are like the other's you've found before,Type III's.As far as the umbrella piece....I'm not so sure bud,it very well could be a "hat ventilator" that were sewn into the hat's.I'll get a pic in a few minute's and post it for Ya.That's a ton of button's you've recovered,all keeper's in my book.Great dig's Doug.....Still lookin'.Congrat's!!!

Civil,
Thanks for the ID on the cleaners. The darker one just looked like it was wider & rounder at the top -vs- the white one. I thought maybe I had two different kinds. ???
A "hat ventilator"? ??? Never heard of one of those, but it certainly makes sense. I've always heard they were a part for an old umbrella / parasol.
Any idea if they make underwear ventilators? I could use some when summer gets here. ;D
Thanks Buddy.
-Doug-

Cool finds as usual Doug ... very nice suspender buckle and med bottle ~ Jimmy

KirkPA said:
Doug-a-rama, :D
You are the man! Those buttons are sweeeeet!
Keep sweeping in that area, a COPPA will surface soon!
Kirk :thumbsup:

Thanks Kirk.
I'm starting to realize folks down here were a lot poorer than up your way. You guys find all the great old coins and we find the buttons & bullets. ;D :thumbsup:
Have a productive weekend.
-Doug-
P.S. Tell Kyle to PM me his ra-search techniques. ;D

Cynangyl said:
Very cool finds! Glad you decided to get back in the trees and found that area!

Thank you. I better spend more time back there before it gets too hot around here. Some much to cover, so little time. :-\
-MM-

fourleaf said:
YOU AND BUTTONS BRO, WHATS YOUR QUOTA PER HUNT? NO RAIN TOMMORROW! WIFE SAID I CAN HUNT,SWEET

James,
Your wife said you can hunt? ??? I thought you said YOU were the king of the castle? I must be thinking of another James? ;D :wink:
I wear the pants in my house. They are my wifes pants, but I wear them darn it!!! >:( :o :wink:
My button quota is three per hunt. :wink: Coins have been "0" per hunt lately. :tongue3:
-MM-

MM - DO YO U NEED SOME ONE TO PUSH THE WHEEL BARROW, YOU FIND SO
MUCH YOU COULD THE - - - L O L :thumbsup: MAN THOSE LOOK REALLY GOOD
HAW BOUT DEM BULLETS- NICE ;D

KEEP DIGGIN

REMEMBER
"SPADE DOWN, KNEE ON THE GROUD.
LOOKY, LOOKY SEE WHAT I FOUND.

KEEP HAVIN F U N M L HUDSON

mlhudson said:

KEEP DIGGIN

REMEMBER

Thanks ML.
By the looks of your running totals, you're not doing so bad yourself. I may be coming YOUR way to push the wheelbarrow for you. ;D :wink: Have a great w/end,
MM

Man you find some amazing stuff MM :thumbsup:I LOVE reading your posts. :icon_sunny:

The pic I posted show's little hole's on the inside,if it doesn't have them then it's most likely part of a "kinda funny CW guy's" umbrella :icon_scratch:

MM! Another awesome post full of great stuff! 8) Love the buckle and of course the bottle. :)

Congrats!! Nana

ModernMiner said:
mlhudson said:

KEEP DIGGIN

REMEMBER

Thanks ML.
By the looks of your running totals, you're not doing so bad yourself. I may be coming YOUR way to push the wheelbarrow for you. ;D :wink: Have a great w/end,
MM

Wait, wait!! I'm close enough to push that wheelbarrow for ya, ML! :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back