Class Ring With Initials, NEED HELP! PLEASE!

FoundInNC

Mar 20, 2012
Mebane, North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey yall, I am here tonight really reaching out on this one. I found this ring yesterday at a Civil War military academy in my area and I feel that this ring may be related. It appears to be a class ring. Whatever it was, it was worn frequently, judging by the wear on the band. There is a missing piece that was soldered to the top, the shape is traced in one of the below pictures. I feel like I see a "69" on the sides. That may be just engraving for decoration. The ring is silver and weighs 3.5 grams. The bottom of the band is missing, dont know what purity mark it had. It is either sterling or coin silver. I would put money on that it is sterling. The cool thing is that there are initials engraved on the bottom. J.E.I. I would appreciate any input from you guys. I need an approximate age for this pattern of ring. THANK YOU ALL IN ADVANCE!

IMAG0299-1.jpg
IMAG0298-1.jpg
IMAG0291-1.jpg
IMAG0290.jpg
696469d1352161956-1850-homesite-gives-up-silver-button-coins-imag0293-1.jpg
696543d1352177196-1850-homesite-gives-up-silver-button-coins-ring-insignia.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry, I don't think you are going to be able to return that one!

In all seriousness, it's almost impossible. First you have to assume what school it came from. Then, you would have to review the names of every graduate to come from that school, assuming that information is even available. That ring was definitely worn for a very long time.

Upvote 0
I don't think school or class rings got popular until the turn of the 20th C. Yours is a signet ring. It is old but could be from 1840 - 1940.

If you give us the name of the school we MIGHT be able to do some research. However, you risk giving away your hunting spot if you do.

DCMatt

Upvote 0
I wouldn't rule out scout ring with the top ripped off

see ring top left
Copy of IMG_6935_2.jpg

Sorry these are rings I no longer have, so can't inspect closer

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The site is in proximity to the Bingham School, at this location from 1865-1891. This would have been lost in a recreation area. I think that it is possibly a boy scout ring, but I was thinking something older. The ring has a very old look. This is potentially my first class ring so I am not going to give up easily! Thanks for the help fellas!!

Upvote 0
Research family names in the area from the late 19th C. There can't be many that start with 'I'.

If you can get access to the UNC library, look for these two books - Bingham Military School Volumes, 1872-1876; 1890-1919

DCMatt

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back